Hot water pressure low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hot water pressure has been lower than normal for about a year/2 years but still functioning and bearable.

We had a leak in one of the pipes running from the boiler to the hot water tank that has been fixed.

Plumber that was out to fix this leak said hot water tank was not fit for purpose and needed replaced. He left, said he'd provide quotes (which he's done in the £1,500-£2,000 range), but has left us with pressure in the hot water system that is about a third of what we had before he attended.

He has refused to re attend. And was stinking of cannabis after he'd gone out for his break. I'm therefore a bit cynical I guess that the hot water tank actually does need replaced and he hasn't tinkered with the pressure on it whilst he's been here so his company can get another expensive job.

The tank is in the attached and I'm sure via these forums or another forum in the past, there is a way to repressurise the hot water cylinder. I've attached pics of the various controls.

Appreciate any guidance before possibly going down the expensive route of having to replace the tank.

Sponsored Links
1F1C5464-07E1-493C-9BDB-2E950B131189.jpeg
4411E20A-F7BA-42E8-9AD7-9E4CE6F2ECED.jpeg
367998B0-5AD4-4454-879C-D2B1650C4593.jpeg
5107690D-004A-4AEC-95A7-F9DA403F2A98.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There is a way to re-establish the bubble on that cylinder, you'll find it in the MI but that wouldn't normally affect the pressure, I would get a second opinion. Was your engineer qualified? He needs to be qualified (G3/UVHW) before he can work on it.

I would be surprised if you cylinder needs replaced.

There is a way to re-establish the bubble on that cylinder, you'll find it in the MI but that wouldn't normally affect the pressure, I would get a second opinion. Was your engineer qualified? He needs to be qualified (G3/UVHW) before he can work on it.

I would be surprised if you cylinder needs replaced.
hi, thanks for the reply.

Didn't ask if the engineer was qualified, I just naively assumed he was, the company seemed professional in arranging the appointment, but everything from the fixing of the leaking pipe onwards had been the opposite.

Can I ask what the MI is? I do barely remember reestablishing the bubble the last time and I think that did help.

Thank you

Ok, so followed this video, and at Step 3 (TRP valve) there was no water flowing from it, just a sound of air being released along with a gurgling sound coming from inside the cylinder.

Have completed step 4, and now have no hot water at all.

What have I done wrong?

Last edited:
71EE8B0A-9886-492C-BA62-1FE0E5AA1CA2.jpeg
BB2131C7-1555-41F2-BB8D-5D202EC54D5B.jpeg
Or have I used the wrong valve at step 3 (used the valve in the first pic; should it have been the valve in the second pic)

Ok tried again and when step 4 complete (Lowest hot water tap back off; cold water infill to cylinder on), can hear what sounds like air quite loud from hot water cylinder.

Not sure what to do next.

Help!!!

Also to mention that the chap that was out that was smoking cannabis did mention that the cylinder system was not safe as it was not properly vented.

Full pic of cylinder system attached and close ups of the specific part of the system he was referring to.

426C348E-6EB1-41A1-8E12-56A0657BC681.jpeg

Attachments

• 062F4181-2D5E-4AA5-85A7-9B3D5935F205.jpeg
    062F4181-2D5E-4AA5-85A7-9B3D5935F205.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 48
  • A788DE57-3F26-4906-BDCB-79AD8DAC9CD3.jpeg
    A788DE57-3F26-4906-BDCB-79AD8DAC9CD3.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 56
It's an unvented cylinder, what kind of vent is he looking for, the primary has a manual vent on it, that's all the vent that setup would need. I would be checking if he is actually qualified.

I also have no idea why there is a pressure reducing valve on the outlet, really need to understand why that's there as it really shouldn't be.

I really would be getting a 2nd opinion sharpish.

Is the pressure reducing valve on the outlet this one?

He was referring to the closed loop on the top / above the cylinder. Not sure if he was at it, but it has worried us. Especially after googling exploding hot water cylinders, I really have no idea just how probable it is that it could create a gas like explosion.

When you say get a second opinion sharpish, is this because you think the system may well be unsafe, or that the guy that was out here was just trying to pull a fast one and the second opinion is more likely to come back and say the cylinder itself is fine.

Just to mention, the hot water cylinder is the same one and hasn't changed since we moved in 12 years ago, house was built 15 years ago with one previous owner.

Attachments

• 1EC89116-E80C-423C-901F-D72906A5BE40.jpeg
    1EC89116-E80C-423C-901F-D72906A5BE40.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 49

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back