Hotpoint Aquarius wm34 - program dial not aligned properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hotpoint aquarius 1200 wm34, and the dial is not aligned to the correct program. When i put it on a 40 wash, it only lasts about 10 minutes with no spin. When i put the dial on a 60 wash, it does a full, 45 odd minute wash with a nice spin at the end. So i'm assuming that the dial needs to be fudged back a bit. Further indication of this is that when the "60" wash finishes, the dial displays it is half way through a rinse cycle, when actually the washing machine is finished. Working out the difference between the end point of the wash and the point that the dial ends on, I reckon the dial needs to be turned back about 35 degrees (or at least 8 clicks)

Although i can pull the program dial off, it will only fit on one way. This means i can't take it off, turn the dial and place it back on aligned - theres like these little grooves that will only allow the dial to secure in one direction, and as explained above, the resting state of the dial at the end of a wash is displayed as half way through a rinse cycle.

So is there any other way to turn the program back from inside the machine? I can post pictures if it will help anyone help me more. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Is this a electronic or a mechanical programmer posting pictures of the facia and programmer knob would help

tockworth said:
Is this a electronic or a mechanical programmer posting pictures of the facia and programmer knob would help
Thanks for the reply. I think it's a mechanical programmer, but you could probably tell from the pics.

Here's the facia. The dial is at this position at the end of a complete wash cycle. Notice the dial shows it is mid-rinse (the end of wash is really the green circle, 2 icons to the left of the current position).
wm1.jpg

This is what it looks like when i pull the dial off. I can't move this red thing i don't think.
wm2.jpg

Here is the end of the dial that goes onto the red stick thing in picture 2. Notice the 3 grooves around the inner edge of the hole, which makes it fit in only direction.
wm3.jpg

Thanks.

I see now, this is a bit of a noodle scratcher the centre spindle which I think you refer to as the red thing is the programmer spindle and is not adjustable. If the machine operates on all programs going through each sequence as it should then it is solely a knob alignment problem.There seems to be on the knob itself a plastic collar which may be movable but I dont think this would re-align the key slots.The only advice I can give is to take it along to a spares supplier compare it with a replacement knob if it is the same then only a replacement programmer will cure the problem.If this was a field repair fault I would have just changed the programmer and the knob and thought no more about it. Maybe if sleepyhead reads this post he may have some thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Screws holding facia on are missing . Has the programmer been changed?
Has a new knob been fitted?
Looking at a photograph of the knob for the WM34 on my system the legends are different to yours. If you've had a new knob fitted I suspect it's the wrong one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back