Hotpoint wd72 faul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. My WD72 stopped mid wash showing e15 fault ...at beginning of rinse. Clothes inside still wet but drum had emptied of water. Checked black tube from base of drum to output pump....ok. Tried another wash. No water input to machine. Machine goes through wash program but no water. Checked pressure switch....removed tube from switch. Tried again. Still no water input. Measured resistance across input valves solenoids....about 3kohm, so seem electrically ok. Any suggestions very gratefully received.
Thanks Keith2

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rock1 . Very grateful for your suggestion. I'll tryto check the resistance of the heater in the morning.
Keith2

Sponsored Links
At the top is a plastic clip with split in the side it upclips.

Checked resistance of heater element. About 26 ohms so I presume it must be ok. Anything else I could check?

That's ok but it's got a earth leak that's wot causes no fill on the hot side. Need to change it and the thermistor in the middle of the heater.

Thanks rocks1. So the earth leak would cause no water intake from the cold and hot water supply to the machine. As you can tell I haven't worked on washing machines before.

No it's only on the hot side that fault occurs. While you down there remove the presure chamber it's a round cup on the right to the heater and clean it out pay attention to the stalk where the tube fits on to that gets blocked and it just washes but won't spin cos it thinks there's water in it.

ok rocks1 I'll check that. Sorry to ask again, but would the heater element fault cause no water at all entering the machine at the start of a cycle. That's what happens with this machine. The element is quite hard to get out. Needs a bit of force. Not quite out yet. the thermistor doesn't seem to want to detatch easily either.

Check wot I said before you remove heater, im trying to eliminate I thing at a time. the fault you got on both valves points to chamber blocked.

Update. Re-tightened the heater element after trying to release it. Cleaned the pressure ball and tube. Put the machine back together again. Tried a wash cycle........Water again!! The machine washed for a few minutes. Then I noticed water on the floor under the machine. Took it apart again....could see water dripping from the heater. Tightened the nut...it seemed quite slack. Put everything together again. Tried another wash. water heated and the machine continued washing for about five minutes. Then, suddenly, more water on the floor. Cancelled cycle again. After switching everthing off, water continued to drain out of the drain hose to the drain outside for a little while. I suspect I must have damaged a gasket trying to get he heater element off. So near to success now. Are heater element gaskets available as spares?

No, it comes with the heater. The rubber swells on the heater and it's impossible to put it back in once removed. There's a gasket round the presure chamber did you fit that back properly.

Yes, I'm pretty sure. Didn't detect any water leaking from the pressure bulb. I'll have to get a new heater element. The element in my machine was really difficult to move. I didn't get it out very far. I must have damaged the gasket then. I then re-tightened it....to no avail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back