Hotpoint WMF760 banging on spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as in the title, since i owned a hotpoint wmf760 i notice that they seem quite noisy on spin even though they are marketed as super silent.

the machine is balanced and all level but it still bangs. it sounds like a roadworkers jackhammer at 1600 rpm.

what can caust this?

Sponsored Links
suspension struts loose or broken a very common fault ,theres been a upgrade kit for it.

that model , is it still under gtee try ebay/hotpoint for parts have a look under mc first .

Sponsored Links
it is still under guarantee with comet but this is the 3rd WMF760 i have had in 2 weeks and all of them are the same. Comet dont know about this upgrade obviously. what do i need to look for under machine?

tip mc back and under the mc is 2 struts one on the left one on the right .imagine the base is a clock, struts are at 3 oclock and 9 oclock .pointed at a angle 2 screws on the base at each strut.get comet to exchange mc ,threaten them with sale of goods act 1979 .

they have already exchanged it twice and all 3 machines have been the same..... so another one is pointless. No3 came on sunday

they wont exchange for anything else.

the machine only makes the noise when clothes are in, when its empty and spinning its silent pretty much.

im not sure if maybe its normal?

Hi. If you're on your third machine it sounds very like a design fault.
1600 is really pushing it for a horizontal spin so even an extra thick pair of knickers could put the machine off balance.
Have you tried it with a load of eg. thin sheets that will distribute themselves more evenly around the drum to see if it spins better? The load will also distribute better if the machine has a full load rather than just a couple of items.
Make sure you're following all the manufacturer's recommendations and if all else fails resort to your local trading standards officer.
One last thought - have you checked that the transit restraints have been removed and the feet of the machine adjusted?

of course.....the machine is transit bolt free and levelled with a spirit level!

i was wondering maybe the belt is causing the noise?

We have a 3 month old Hotpoint WDD960 that's also marketed as Super Silent. It's very good until it reaches full-speed spin when it's anything but silent. I can hear resonance and rattling within the casing and if I put pressure on one side the rattling subsides. The machine as a whole doesn't move around much though - it's much more stable than the 10 year old Hoover model it replaced. All the noise and vibration is contained within the case.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed but not surprised - I doubt there's any way a 1600rpm spin could be silent given the forces at work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back