House Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing HELPPPP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, with all this cold weather my house is even colder than ever.

The temp in my house with no heating on is 5 Celcius :(. We have double glazing, loft insullation, dont have any cavities to have cavity wall insullation as the house is 1920s. I've checked for draughts, everything is sealed.

When we put the central heating on the house gets nice and warm, but as soon as we knock it off, withing 90mins it drops like a stone.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you think you are on your own???? Have you looked outside the window?
What is the outside temperature?

Have you got a proper thermometer in your house recording that 5C temp - very low is that. When i switch the heating off out digital thermostat reads 17C - after one hour being off. i will check what temp i says when i get up, but the lowest i have seen it is down to 12C , i think.

we are in a semi, solid brick walls, 2 sides double glazed and the front origional sashes - lots colder in those rooms and i intend to get new pvc sash's this yr. our loft has 30cm insulation.

just heard on the radio today most people have the temp set to 21C. We have the house on at 18C in this weather and everything is fine, but we have to wear jumpers etc. i really dont see the point in wearing Tshirts in this weather.

Do you have enough loft insulation? Would suggest topping up if you have less than 200mm. Also, try closing doors to all rooms, so each room can be heated individually by the rads. instead of it all wafting upstairs and filling the bedrooms. Turn down stats on any rooms that are not in use if you are worried about bills.
I think most folk are running their heating 24/7 at the moment, to hell with the bills!

Sponsored Links
Yep I did my attic last month got 16 inches of lost insullation. Even before we had this cold weather my house was only 10c. Do u think it could be rising damp the coldness coming from floor? Will it also be worth battening Walls and put kingspan insullation. Thx in advance

do you have wooden floors as opposed to concrete?

if so you may be getting draughts coming up. you can caulk up the joins, but this means having to take up the carpets etc. you can also fit insulation between the joists, but you again need to take up the carpets and then the floorboards.

Is your house detached, semi-detached, end of terrrace or terrace? Terrace losing least heat and then works up to detached losing most heat!

Which direction does your house face - South, South East, South West, North, North East, North West? The prevailing wind direction tends to be North East or South West - The wind pressure will impact on heat loss!

One other item - Do you have timber or solid floors? Again similar to type of house - Terrace loses least heat and works up to detached losing most heat?

One further question - if you have neighbours do they have similar problems?

In the meantime I would suggest turning the room stat down to say 15C (or slightly less) and leave the central heating on 24/7 eventually the fabric/walls will retain some of the heat and the demand on energy consumption should go down marginally.
In these present adverse conditions recycling the heating as you are doing at present will barely keep the room air warm (which is what is happening) and as soon as you turn the central heating off the heat will fall off as you have described.

You will possibly need to get yourself 'togged' up with extra clothing to cope with the 15C and less.

If you care to answer my questions I will respond with a possible solution to your problem.

Regards

Hi again, my house base floor is concrete, we live on end of terrace so we have 3 external Walls. Where I live is on a slight hill so is a degree colder than my local town. Yes I have got 2 temperature gauges one that I control my boiler with and the other just to check if other gauge is giving a correct Reading. Also because I live end of terrace we have quite severe winds coming down from the valley. I'm thinking on investing insullation boards for external Walls. When I touch all external Walls they r freezing. One other point to make out all windows r newly double glazed apart from back bedroom, but the wind is hitting front of house not back. However on the back window where we have condensation it's turned to ice inside is this normal? I think I'll have to set the boiler on 15c all day, we got newish boiler, valiant. I also have a humidy gauge, at the mo it's showing alot of moisture it's on 70. Thanks in advance for all your expertese much appreciated. Lee

normally moisture in the winter decreases and 50 is normal.

are you drying clothes inside?

70 and above means mold develops. i had 70 all the time in an old house i lived in, but it was the basement. the rest of the house would be 60 or lower. that was in summer mind you.

so i would be worried about your humidity being at 70 in the winter.

you have damp coming into the house from some where. i used a dehumidifyer for our basement where the reading was 70 and higher.

Try find the source of the damp. or buy a good humidity meter to make sure your humidity is as high as you say. then take reading at different spots in the house over a few weeks. you may not have a problem at all.

ask to check a neighbours house to see if their humidity is as high.

if you establish you have a problem you takr things from there.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/momo_002.cfm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back