house re-wire

The death penalty has been adopted by numerous countries. Do YOU think it's a good idea based on that logic? Or perhaps we are wrong for not adopting the death penalty?

It's not our fault that other countries have fallen behind. Also, other countries which don't have socket-outlet ring final circuits have ring final circuits for other uses.

I believe the IEE have released documentation recently on the issue of ring final circuits and that it is being discussed at a European level (it being determined that the highest standards of electrical installations and lowest death/accident count are found in the UK!!!)

Sponsored Links
I believe the IEE have released documentation recently on the issue of ring final circuits and that it is being discussed at a European level (it being determined that the highest standards of electrical installations and lowest death/accident count are found in the UK!!!)

Not that it has any bearing to the use of a ring final over a radial.
A properly installed ring final is no more safe than a properly installed radial.

It's not my fault you don't know how to spur properly from a socket final circuit. Think about a mid position socket on a radial and on a ring. What's the difference? Cut a ring at the mid point and what are you left with (spurs and all?)

It's not my fault that your reference to 433-02-01 is meaningless and devoid of logic. (Plse the IEE released document on Ring Finals!!!). By quoting this regulation willy nilly, you seem to be implying that the IEE are not complying with their own regulations by specifying 'Conventional Circuit Designs' in the On Site Guide!

Ring testing more difficult? No - it's just as easy. It's a series of continuity tests. In fact very similar to an R1 + R2 test if you are familiar with correct testing procedure.

The loading of a kitchen ring does not simply go away with radials. Different pros and cons emerge depending on the situation. A radial may require 6mm if demanded by installation reference method or voltage drop. BS1363 accessories are not designed to accomodate 6mm cable.

As regards faults. I presume you have statistics to support this? On the contrary, problems on European radials far outweigh the problems found on UK ring finals.

Finally, if you look on the internet, you can find quite a list of other countries which have adopted the ring final.

Not that it has any bearing to the use of a ring final over a radial.
A properly installed ring final is no more safe than a properly installed radial.

Are you saying that British Electricians and electrical installation standards are superior in the UK than in mainland Europe? :)

Sponsored Links
****** ,, i am sure there will be a lecy who is not that bothered and will test and sign,, and then there is BC,, if you cant give a helpfull reply ********* :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Are you saying that British Electricians and electrical installation standards are superior in the UK than in mainland Europe? :)
lets see, we have
1: overcurrent protection matched to the flex.
2: large capacity socket circuits that are unlikely to reach the point of being overloaded and therefore unlikely to suffer from fuse abuse.
3: proper earthing in almost all installations even relatively old ones
4: a tradition of using large single phase supplies rather than small three phase supplies such that very few homes end up with three phase.

I read a report on the state of abused radials in Europe and I wish I'd kept it.

The main point though is the quality of the installation and the installer. Perhaps the more complicated ring final resulted in more stringent guidelines and training and hence better standards of installation and safety.

In my opinion, a ring final is an ideal design for socket circuits which have a flexible and changing loading characteristic and which is spread around a house.

One major plus of a ring is that if one cpc becomes detached or broken at a point (socket outlet), earth continuity is maintained at all points on a ring final. On a radial, every point past the break becomes earthless. This is a significant safety advantage over the radial.

(He's not me)

p.s. Hurrah for the wonderful Fused Plug!

The death penalty has been adopted by numerous countries. Do YOU think it's a good idea based on that logic? Or perhaps we are wrong for not adopting the death penalty?
Interesting analogy.

I see the point you're trying to make, and it's not completely without merit, but there is a lot more logic and engineering principles behind decisions on wiring regulations than there is behind those on capital punishment.

Were we the only country with, or without, the death penalty, it might have more merit, but the fact is our position on ring finals is an aberration.

It's not our fault that other countries have fallen behind.
Have they really?

Are you sure there's no jingoism influencing you?

Also, other countries which don't have socket-outlet ring final circuits have ring final circuits for other uses.
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with ring finals.

I believe they are inappropriate for socket circuits in domestic properties, but not necessarily in other more controlled environments.

They recently had a public debate about ring finals (don't know what the result was, if there was a vote, and the published documents will agree with whatever opinion you already had ;) )

And I'm sure that the subject gets raised in CENELEC etc meetings as we move towards greater harmonisation, but I'd be very surprised if there was some special consideration going on of the idea of introducing ring finals into other countries.

It's not my fault you don't know how to spur properly from a socket final circuit.
I do know how to.

Are you seriously going to claim that everybody does? Are you going to pretend that all the instances of "spurs from spurs" would be just as much of a problem or risk with a radial circuit as they would be with a ring?

The whole point of a ring, and perversely one of it's major problems, is the undersized cable, and the issues with spurs simply don't arise if you don't have undersized cables. Which you don't have with radials.

Think about a mid position socket on a radial and on a ring. What's the difference?
The difference, as I'm sure you know, is that the former is fed by one cable, and the latter by two.

Cut a ring at the mid point and what are you left with (spurs and all?)
Two radials, neither of which comply with Ib <= In <= Iz.

It's not my fault that your reference to 433-02-01 is meaningless and devoid of logic.
It is neither.

I'm not saying that you can't make a valid engineering case for a ring in the example you gave (lighting in commercial/industrial installations) but I'd like to see you do it, and achieve cost savings, and comply with 433-02-01.

(Plse the IEE released document on Ring Finals!!!).
Which document is that?

By quoting this regulation willy nilly, you seem to be implying that the IEE are not complying with their own regulations by specifying 'Conventional Circuit Designs' in the On Site Guide!
No I'm not, but by saying that you seem to be implying that you are not recognising that the IEE only allow reduced cable size rings for 30/32A socket circuits.

Ring testing more difficult? No - it's just as easy. It's a series of continuity tests. In fact very similar to an R1 + R2 test if you are familiar with correct testing procedure.
Don't try and patronise me - you'll just make yourself look stupid. I've already said that I should perhaps have worded my objection differently.

But even if testing is just as easy, are you going to say that it does not involve any extra work?

The loading of a kitchen ring does not simply go away with radials.
Of course it does - if it's not a ring then the imbalanced loading issues no longer exist. The circuit cable is not undersized with respect to the breaker rating, and (accessory ratings notwithstanding) you could draw the entire circuit capacity from the first point and not cause the circuit any distress.

Different pros and cons emerge depending on the situation. A radial may require 6mm if demanded by installation reference method or voltage drop.
And this is how likely with 20A radials?

BS1363 accessories are not designed to accomodate 6mm cable.
Could that be, I wonder, because their design is intrinsically linked to 30-32A 7/.026-2.5mm² ring finals?

As regards faults. I presume you have statistics to support this?
No, I'll confess I don't, so I may have made an unjustified assumption, but it's trivial to show that there are more failure modes that remain undetected in use with ring finals than there are with radials.

On the contrary, problems on European radials far outweigh the problems found on UK ring finals.
I presume you have statistics to support this?

Finally, if you look on the internet, you can find quite a list of other countries which have adopted the ring final.
Genuinely, and consciously "adopted" as a departure from previous practice, and not just inherited as a result of Britain's colonial past?

I read a report on the state of abused radials in Europe and I wish I'd kept it.
In what way can you abuse a radial?

One major plus of a ring is that if one cpc becomes detached or broken at a point (socket outlet), earth continuity is maintained at all points on a ring final. On a radial, every point past the break becomes earthless. This is a significant safety advantage over the radial.
If you're going to argue that then you have to admit that it is twice as likely that a live conductor could break or become detached (as there are twice as many as there are cpcs), and therefore twice as likely that an undetected fault situation would arise.

The show stopper though is that with the failed cpc it needs a subsequent fault to create a hazard, but with a failed live conductor you've instantly got a hazard in normal use, no 2nd fault required.

Hurrah for the wonderful Fused Plug!
The issue of fused plugs is separate from that of ring/radial circuits.

I know that they are more essential with ring finals, but there is an excellent case to be made for their use with radials too.

Even if lots of people put 13A fuses in every plug....

rings are wonderful!
They were introduced as an expedient solution to a combination of rapid changing use and a copper shortage. They were essentially a modification to what were meant to be radial circuits, not a ground-up design.

IMO that's a major problem with the electrical industry. We keep trying to adapt old/existing methods to suit new installations.

If the principle of the ring is so great, I wonder what other sparks would say if they came across a 16amp lighting circuit wired as a ring in 1mm?

seems the moderator needs to get out more as well!! suspended,,,,not that the site is much help is it!!!
I think that what you meant to say was that even though you have had accurate, truthful and helpful advice on this site, because it doesn't fit with the decisions you've already made for selfish financial reasons which do not take into consideration the interests of your client, you have decided to ignore it and abuse the people who gave it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back