New Build Wiring

Forget the DIY electrics - get a registered sparks in. Keep a close eye on your neighbours - as soon as they get a whiff of someone living in a shed in the garden they'll be straight on the phone to the Council to drop you in it.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, thank you everyone for your input. :D
it sounds like i've got several options here & i guess the financial considerations will come into play. Ummm, so should i :

a) get a new supply
b) get a gas supply
c) search for a less powerful heating (inc. water) solution

i note that Steve doesn't view a problem with overload if done properly?

i note that Steve doesn't view a problem with overload if done properly?
No, I didnt have a problem, but I did warn you that you may need 16 or even 25mm² cable, which is getting into silly money over 35 metres. The supply to my house is in 16mm² twin cable. Anything's possible with enough money thrown at it.

Instead of a 9kw water heater, why not use some form of 3kw high-capacity water storage heater, a cylinder, connected to a 2-hour boost switch or a timer. What exactly will he need the water heated for?

Also, consider a heat pump / air conditioner solution for room heating. Contact your local air conditioning company, who will advise further on this. This will use less than 2kw, and heat your place better and more efficiently than 4kw of electric heat. :)

Sponsored Links
no room to do the loft out instead?

any particular reason to stick the kid down the bottom of the garden?

weekends only you say? he at UNI?

might be overall cheaper to stick him in a local B&B... :)

if it's 100ft to the outbuilding, wouldn't it have been a better option for an extension to the house? adds value to the house that a habitable shed doesn't...

also, as stated.. the council might take issue with adding a seperate "granny flat" to your property without planning consent..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back