Re: Granny Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i have planning permission for a granny flat and i want to get some electrics to it. it is 35 metres from my house consumer unit.
in the flat i require:

6 sockets
4 ceiling lights
2 radiators
1 macerator
1 water heater (9kw)

i have 2 spare sockets on the house consumer unit .

I will be digging the trench for the cable myself but need to know what size cable i need. can anyone advise?

Shane
and

Sponsored Links
H is right, need much more info.
Why do you need 9KW? - that will be a killer over that distance even without anything else.

If its for water heating/shower then yr better putting in a small Megaflo with a 3KW heater.

IMHO you need a spark to advise you and to do the work/

So?

You don't seriously expect to supply an entire flat with an electric water heater and electric heating from an MCB in your CU do you?

I will be digging the trench for the cable myself but need to know what size cable i need. can anyone advise?
Your electrician is the only one who can give you advice you can actually use.

Sponsored Links
Hi Holmslaw

the macerator will be 750 watts
the 2 rads are 1500 watts each

as to my existing supply i have no idea - its a basic terraced 3 bed house in london

Hi Taylortwocities
what is a megaflow. is this a gas boiler (i cannot get gas there - too expensive!)

http://www.heatraesadia.com/hs/heatraes.nsf

I guess you are looking at regular electric rads? They are very inefficient and use a heavy load - ever looked at heat pumps?

You need proper professional advice as to your options and how they meet your aspirations.

you need to add up ALL the loads. What else is going in there?

Heating, water, hair dryer, kettle, wash machine, stair lift, lights......

You may be better off getting a separate supply

can you please post a picture or your basic 3 bed? there is no normasl supply or board layout.

You were told last time that you couldn't come off your house CU - why do you still think that those spare ways are relevant?

All the people who told you last time could advise, but what would be the point, as you clearly didn't listen last time you asked that same question.

Did you listen last time when you were told you needed to get an electrician to do this work? He's the one who must decide what size cable to use.

Thanks for your responses everyone.
In regards to a heat pump, i'll forget that , unless i win the lottery this week! As to a lower kilowatt water heater i'll look into that (the 9kw i had in mind is provides instant hot water). The general concensus seems to be to run the cable from my existing meter and not my house CU which seems a good idea so does anyone know what cable size i would require for this (distance 35 metres, potential load 13kw) ?

That is for the DNO to decide.

You will have to apply to them for a new supply.

does anyone know what cable size i would require for this (distance 35 metres, potential load 13kw) ?
Yes - your electrician.

who are DNO
Depends where in "London" you are - it could be London Power Networks, SE Power Distribution or SEEBOARD Power Networks.

Check here for your postcode.

surely this is just a case of fitting some henley blocks?
Dunno.

Ask your electrician whether the combined maximum demand will be too great for your existing supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back