How 2 find out what parts are needed for a particular boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know a good website to find out what spare part numbers are for a particular make of boiler?

Specifically we are looking for a suitable replacement for the Heat Exchanger assemby in a Potterton Kingfisher II (41-601-19 -- no sorry it is actually 41-601-85, see later post).

So far I have been told 358-329, which unfortunately appears to be obsolete. Does this mean there is no way of fixing this boiler? Or are other parts now available instead? Another number that has cropped up is 204-221. Not sure yet if that is obsolete -- need to chase this up. I guess I could phone up Pottertons tomorrow and hope they can help! If anyone has any ideas - we are desperate for a solution ---
SNOW + no heating = NOT GOOD! :eek:

Thanks

tandt

Sponsored Links
Is it a RS60 boiler you've got. can't find a ref to that number but 41-607-19 is an exchanger for the 60 and yes it is available with part number 204-221. 3section heat exchanger complete.
What is wrong with it anyway?

It is leaking (a slow drip). Our supplier has now condemned it (Immediately Dangerous) and told us to buy a new one. As we have an insurance policy for parts and labour - I insisted they attempt to repair it but they have told me the HE assembly part needs replacing and is obsolete - I just want to check for myself! ;)

... and yes I think it is RS60 from discussions so far, but i haven't seen it written on the boiler. Maybe I should take a closer look with the torch!

These heat exchangers have o-ring seals between the sections and have been known to fail. Changed them in the biggest Kingfisher which requires a bit of graft but the components are pennies compared to a new boiler or heat exchanger. Is the leak coming from a joint between sections? If it is, it is repairable, can you get a second opinion?

Sponsored Links
The reason why they condemned it is that the CO gas emmissions were too high, which they said was probably resulting in the burner not combusting the gases properly. I don't think they have proved that this is the case, but I don't think they can be bothered to try to repair it.

We did have a second opinion from an experienced CORGI (Potterton) agent and he felt that it can be repaired, and urged us to insist on the repair being carried out for free. However the gas repair insurance company won't agree to it and keep telling me to be grateful that it's been working for 20 years (although I have only lived here for one of them!)

Guess we'll have to fork out for the Potterton agent to repair it if possible. Annoying after a year of paying premiums! :rolleyes:

Darn - wrote down the wrong model number! I have written down the model number the repair guys gave me... the actual number on the boiler is 41-601-85. Was wondering if that was accidentally-on-purpose -- leading to an obsolete part! :evil:

Go with the Potty man but ask for a refund of your premium if not satisfied with the insurance. Will go some way to offsetting the cost.
Good luck

I'm afraid to say that burners on heavyweights are becoming obsolite, as are many other parts.

So a failed burner could cost you 2.5g's

Actually they already replaced the burner for us (wow didn't realise it was so expensive! :eek: ) -- they are saying the HE is dripping on the burner and that is probably why it is not combusting properly.

Will get Potterton guy to take a closer look at the HE to see where the leak is coming from

thanks to all for your advice

<by the way does the change in model number make a difference to the HE assembly part number? >

Cheers

tandt

If the insurance co took it on and the part is available then I think you should insist that they repair it !

They should not provide the insurance but then back out when its a bigger repair!

some of them have a beyond economical repair thing tony

once the boiler exceeds their secret price for boiler they will no longer cover it

sucks dont it

funnily enough the insurer's engineer was saying all this stuff about "why don;t you get a nice new boiler.... if you had a car that was 20 years old and the engine leaked, wouldn;t you get a new one... not worth repairing etc, it's a lesson to all of us to read the Ts & Cs more carefully..."

I then produced the Ts & Cs and said there was nothing in there to exempt this from repair unless the parts were not available, but if he could find the clause I would happily stand corrected. He flicked through the pages for a minute then just changed the subject... I said if it can be repaired it should be, and why weren't they looking for a heat exchanger rather than simply asking me to cough up for a new boiler when I had religiously paid my premiums?

Finally he started talking about "quoting me" for a new heat exchanger. That's when he gave me the incorrect boiler model number and then told me the part was obsolete. Hence my suspicions that the incorrect model number was intended to direct me to an obsolete part. (I only spotted the model number was wrong when I checked the boiler later myself).

Anyway his logic is all skewed - why quote me for a part? If it is available then there is nothing in the contract allowing them to back out of obtaining it and repairing the boiler for free. That's why i am trying to track the part myself just in case I am being led up the garden path. I wouldn't trust this guy as far as I could throw him.

Sorry :oops: --- rant over! ...for now anyway!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back