How are these windows fixed in - With Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I'm thinking about changing my windows in my house x 17.

The current units are from the original build in 1998 and look very tired.

The windows seem to be set quite a way into the reveal and i'm unsure how they have fixed the frames into the brick or block.
Also there seems to be some bevelled trim on the inside off all windows and it looks a part of the window.

MY real question is - if I change the windows will it damage all of the reveals and need replastering?

Many Thanks in advance for your input.
IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2511.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could well find the fixing screws are hidden in the rebates where the glass panels are.
With careful removal, there shouldn't be much damage to the reveals.
John :)

Nope, they'll most certainly be held in on brackets or 'clips' as it was a new build, its done for speed in fitting and basically the brackets are screwed to the side of the window before fitting then its offered into the hole and screwed through the brackets into the inner skin of bricks/blocks then plastered over, you will almost certainly damage the plaster reveals in the areas the clips are at when you try and remove, bain of a window fitters lives they are!

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with Crank , will be ' cleats ' behind the reveals...We blinking hate them when replacing windows with them in , I have literally cut the internals of frames apart before now , trying to do the least amount of damage to the reveals, but there will always be damage!!

Well it looks like I have cleats!
I'm a sparks by trade and have a high quality stud finder which is picking up signs of 3 cleats each side of the window.

The only way I can think of is to use my multi tools with metal cutting blade on.
I would need to set the new windows father forward thank now so that I fix into the brick better so would need quite wide trims on the reveals anyway.

Thanks chaps for you input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back