How can I make soft wood stronger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used some soft wood for making my landing stairs child safe.

I realised towards the end it was softwood - rookie mistake. However, it looks good and I think will hold but will obviously take a battering.

Is there a way to toughen the wood?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd expect you'll have to put more wood into it to strengthen things if its flimsy. Softwood is used to create studwalls etc so shouldn't be a problem making something strong.

Sponsored Links
I'd expect you'll have to put more wood into it to strengthen things if its flimsy. Softwood is used to create studwalls etc so shouldn't be a problem making something strong.

I think I'm going to add a centre post for stability tomorrow. I'll get pic up then.

I wonder what the dimensions are of the timber you used, how you fixed it, and what to.

Without a photo we can't help.

I first fixed a support to each existing end, then I fitted the panels to this new support.

9FDbk3P.jpg

jnlAOHl.jpg

V2RJKrm.jpg

You've done good job, that'll be perfectly strong enough.. The only reason those type of banisters are not "child safe" is becuase they are horizontal slats, thus climbable with a high drop.

Nozzle

You've done good job, that'll be perfectly strong enough.. The only reason those type of banisters are not "child safe" is becuase they are horizontal slats, thus climbable with a high drop.

Nozzle

Doh. I'm in the process of removing the gaps.

My old banister /landing was just two posts held apart by the handrail, with a central vertical support.
The rest was just 2x sheets of 1/4" ply pinned in with beading.

What you have will be way strong enough, even hardboard or thin mdf could be fixed over it

You are confusing the terms Softwood and Hardwood.....they don't relate to the strength of the timber.... they relate to the tree type.... Google them to check.

Here's an update. I removed the gaps. I also added 2 supports. This gave it so much strength/support - exactly what the doctor ordered. It also flattened out the panels as they were a little bit wavey. Now they all line up.

A3Mp4bW.jpg
S4nKePf.jpg

even if your kids are built like brick outhouses and run at walls, that should do it.

I tend to agree that vertical railings might have been easier /cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing.
as said, my original house just had 9mm ply in there and it was good for 50 years before i took it out and fitted spindles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back