How can i repair a leaking soldred tee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideally, I prefer to use compression fittings, but not sure if the pipe will be long enough to meet the fitting once I cut out the soldered part.

I suppose I can add another joint to make the pipe a bit longer.

What's the best please?
20240419_163342.jpg

Sponsored Links
Drain it down, heat it up, remove that T, clean it up, fit a new solder ring T. Job done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, I don't have a blowtorch and would prefer to use compression fittings, how can' I do that please?

The quick answer is you can't unless there is obvious give in the pipe. The pipe is currently to length so if it's cut at the end of the soldered joints it will usually be too short for any other mechanical fitting.

Thanks for your replies, I don't have a blowtorch and would prefer to use compression fittings, how can' I do that please?
If you can only use compressions joints, after cutting it out, you’ll need a compression T and three straight compression joints plus some extra pipe to make up the shortfall. Will look shìt though.

I'm not a pro, just a decent DIYer, but prsonally I'd drain it, give it some wire wool then heat it and stick some more solder in...

Actually that sounds easy enough even though I would need to buy a blowtorch.
What do the pros on here think about that please?

I would be very wary about trying to add solder to an already leaking, dirty joint like that, I can almost gaurantee the solder won't run into the joint properly, and you'll be back to square one.
To do it properly, cut it out and start again, if there's no lateral give in the pipe that will allow you to get the tee in, or a coupler, then buy a slip coupler which will make the job easy.
Make sure the pipe is absolutely bone dry before you try to solder it up.

I'm not a pro, just a decent DIYer, but prsonally I'd drain it, give it some wire wool then heat it and stick some more solder in...

I doubt that would be successful, the solder will not flow at all, into where the leakage is, due to the oxidation.

I would suggest the OP drains the pipes, buys a new solder T, and a blow lamp. Heat the T up, remove it, thoroughly clean all three pipes, and solder the new T in.

I would suggest the OP drains the pipes, buys a new solder T, and a blow lamp. Heat the T up, remove it, thoroughly clean all three pipes, and solder the new T in.
Like I said in #2. ;)

Don’t forget, you’ll need some flux paste too. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back