How can I stop copper pipe thieves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently had 14 foot of copper pipe stolen it was 28mm gas supply after meter, running along car port wall and into my flat on second floor. It cost me £180 to get replaced they only took the pipe they could reach and the police say they will probably be back as they took a couple of neighbors too and you can see part of it from the street. The cheeky beggars stole it from under a security light and as a last resort I was thinking of wiring it to the live feed to the lamp so its live when the sensors triggered although there may be some legal issues here. Is there some sort of alarm thats triggered when the pipe is touched?

and ideas of a cheap way of securing would be great. I would probably have to get it boxed in eventually but can't afford it yet.

Sponsored Links
Connect it up to 240 volts as you say.
That's what I would do.

Sponsored Links
I called at least 15 plumbers trying to get one over the weekend I managed to get one today and he said he can only do it copper. Its was too cold to wait until monday so I just had to get him.

I dont think sticky paint or vandal grease would put them off.

He should have used that tracpipe but its done now. unless some one wants to swap it.

If I did electrify it would the current pass through the joints and cause other problems or would it stop at the brass fittings and not make the meter live?

Please tell me you are not seriously considering putting 230 volts onto a gas pipe?

Glad I live a long way away

See you on the news.

Ted

Please tell me you are not seriously considering putting 230 volts onto a gas pipe?

I was thinking more like a farmers fence type shocker.

I know it would be dangerous because of the spark but that would get them before they cut through.

If I did electrify it would the current pass through the joints and cause other problems or would it stop at the brass fittings and not make the meter live?

If you electrified it it would also make everything it's connected to live, such as the boiler casing. It could also potentially arc and cause an explosion.

Best idea is to box it in, a bit of timber isn't going to cost all that much and should be a sufficient deterrent if built sturdily enough

cant you just paint it black, or cover it with pipe lagging so the thieves dont know its copper...

maybe enough to put them off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back