How does God work?

So how does God work then? It decided to send its angels to save this 1 x preacher who rips people off, and yet it decided not to send angels to save 43,000 people who died in the Turkey earthquake.

MMmmm, funny sort of God that.

Simple. Different Gods. Turkish one is with an alternative franchise.

Sponsored Links
Is there any evidence for God? Most people point to the Bible, but even the most devout followers acknowledge that the Bible is a work of fiction. Take worshipping God as an example; how do we know that we are actually supposed to do that? If there is a God and it is watching us - maybe we are all in a kind of goldfish bowl - how do we know it isn't looking on wondering what the worshipping is, and why we do it? As far as I know the only thing that says we should worship God is the (ahem) fictional Bible.

As far as I know the only thing that says we should worship God is the (ahem) fictional Bible.
You apostate, you! You'll go to hell get flushed down the toilet when you die...

Sponsored Links
God is in your mind.

OK what use is a haiku?
That's a good question...with many answers.

I could say it's the essence of Zen; a simple sentence which can provoke a memory, or inspire a vision. It can be funny, profound, confusing or contradictory. A paradox; a paradigm; an alliterative statement of truth or perhaps a moment shared by the poet; such as this one, “The Old Pond” by Matsuo Bashō:

An old silent pond
A frog jumps into the pond -
Splash! Silence again.

It's so simple and i imagine the translation doesn't convey the full tone of the language in which it was written, yet i love the image it evokes, spreading ripples across the pond that feel like they're still spreading after 350 years.

more@read poetry.org

What use are the lilies in the field?

It all depends how you look at them, i suppose.

Jeds claims the Bible is a work of fiction because it requires proof of miracles that happened long ago and cannot be verified with a video posted online, yet billions of people believe Moses parted the Red Sea - and archaeologists can give you a plausible set of circumstances where such an event could've occurred. Did it happen?
I dunno.
This is a matter of faith.
(A word that gives logicians like you and Denso so much trouble.)

The Bible can be read as fiction, if you wish - or history; or philosophy; or parable or even poetry.
In answer to the thread title, "how does God work?" it can be as simple as:

A world of dew
and within every dewdrop
A world of struggle.

Kobayashi Issa

It is control.

"If you don't xxxxxxxxxx, then you will burn forever in hell......"

There being two places to go when you die, depending on whether you have been good or bad, gives "comfort" to believers.

But what has never been explained to me is what happens if your first partner dies and you remarry, what happens (assuming you all end up in the same place) when you die?
Could be a bit awkward meeting both....

There being two places to go when you die, depending on whether you have been good or bad
There is a third place.... purgatory

a place or state of suffering inhabited by the souls of sinners who are expiating their sins before going to heaven.

But what has never been explained to me is what happens if your first partner dies and you remarry, what happens (assuming you all end up in the same place) when you die?
Could be a bit awkward meeting both....
Hell's teeth, TWO mother-in-laws? :LOL:

Must be even worse for muslims with multiple wives...

Religion certainly became control, but the origins must date back much further to times when people were completely unaware of life and the world. It's quite easy to see why people were afraid that some higher power might bring famine and pestilence on them if they didn't make an offering. Some people obviously saw that this fear was a useful way of controlling large numbers of people. It's not a great leap from that to taking advantage, which brings us pretty much up to date.

There is a third place.... purgatory

a place or state of suffering inhabited by the souls of sinners who are expiating their sins before going to heaven.
God's waiting room - just wait for your number to be called.
Or.
Mecca Bingo. :LOL:

Religion certainly became control, but the origins must date back much further to times when people were completely unaware of life and the world. It's quite easy to see why people were afraid that some higher power might bring famine and pestilence on them if they didn't make an offering. Some people obviously saw that this fear was a useful way of controlling large numbers of people. It's not a great leap from that to taking advantage, which brings us pretty much up to date.

The simple fact that there are so many religions, in so many differing parts of the world, all supporting different versions of their God, rather than a single God - all suggests to me a 'need' by people for a God to be developed, rather than there being any actual God/Creator.

I twigged to it all being superstitious nonsense, long before my teens, yet others need to cling to some form of belief in a higher being.

Sponsored Links
Back