How easy is it to cut 6mm WBP plywood without a circular saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to lay WBP 6mm thick plywood onto my bathroom floor before sticking lino ontop. However, all web sites refer to cutting it with a circular saw. As I don#t have one, how easy is it to cut manually with a normal saw and is there a specific type of saw I should be using?

Also, what is the best way to attach it to the floorboards. Have been told ring shank nails, spax screws etc. I thought a screw would be more secure than a nail. is this so? If so, which type.

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
dylan - a cheapo hardpoint handsaw from a shed will make light work of the ply for you floor - no need for a circular saw. Annular (or ring shank) nails are fine for below vinyl but check thickness of existing floorboards + thickness of ply (6mm) to gauge the correct length of nail. Too long a nail, which will break through the underside of the floorboard might puncture pipes or cables - small annular nails are available in 20mm and 25mm long. One trick is to lift one floorboard across the whole room width, then with mirror & torch look under the boards between all the joists to see if you have any pipes/cables; obviously, if there aren't any then use the 25mm ones.

Make sure you fix any loose floorboards (with screws) before you skin with ply.

Homebase are doing a cracking laminate saw (20") with 14 teeth per inch for less than a tenner. Just the jobby!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back