How good should our new walls be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are having a conservatory built and are upto the plastering stage which was done a few days ago.

How smooth/straight should we expect the walls to be? its been drylined with dot n dab then skimmed. Three walls are block one is brick.

Some of the walls while being quite smooth and polished aren't straight in places. If you look down past the windows boards you can see the walls are out quite a bit in places. Its also quite noticeable around the light switches as there are 3 in a row, but as the walls not flat they look bent.

Should I expect a better quality finish than this or is it a common problem when drylining?. How much would you allow as normal?

The plasterer was subbed by the glazing company and has been doing them for years so surprised by the poor standard, or is it me being a perfectionist

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow when there's daylight

I haven't been onto them about it yet till I decide what I want to do so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dot and dabbing on new brick or block work is harder to get wrong than get right!!! They should be plumb and straight, there's no excuse. You have paid good money for a good job, if you buy something from a shop and it's not right you take it back, so get the conservatory company back and tell them your not happy. And don't pay them till it's done to a good standard..Its your right.....

I agree with what RoyC has said, also, it's not a case of you being a perfectionist, when the poor quality of the work is so obvious to the eye. Some pics would be handy,,, and yes, if you pay good money for something, you want it to be to your satisfaction. The more these companies get away with, the worse they'll get. Tell them you're not happy, point out your concerns and get them to sort it out......BEFORE you pay them!!!

Roughcaster.

Just to add my bit; the boards on the brick should be perfectly flat & plumb & the plaster finish should be just as perfect; mine is! If they are any good as tradesman, it shouldn’t be a problem but DG companies can be notorious for subbing out as cheap as they can get away with & in your case, it sounds like you’ve got some ‘wana be’ plasterers on the job rather than the real thing!

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the replies. Glad its not just me being fussy then.

Took a load of pics and to be honest it looks even worse now I look at them :(

I had them back the second day to sort the sockets, have a look and you'll see the problems :eek: and their attempted remedies!

And you should see the outer brickwork as well!

Soz there are so many pics

EDIT: If you agree its bad and need sorting can it be repaired or is it a case of pull the boards off and start again?

Every picture tells a story...No more to say!!!!!

Impressive isn't it :D thank god we haven't paid them yet

This whole conservatory has been nothing but a pain in the xxxx from the word go and I've had to make quite a few complaints to them about problems at virutally every stage. You would think by now they'd know I'd be checking things and at least one of the workmen have some form of pride in their work.

Daft thing is we went for this firm as they have a great reputation and have been going for 20yrs or so. Proves that's not worth anything these days

I think a phonecall is in order tomorrow

How would you fix it.... apart from sacking the plasterer ;)

Is it start again or can it be salvaged?

Very poor quality from what we can see. The skirting boards when fixed on,will highlight the mis-shapen walls even more. Some of the holes cut out around most of the electrical boxes look as though they are too big, and the switch/socket covers probably wont cover them. The one that looks to have been "patched", photo no 7, very roughly done,,......even the plaster has not been cleaned off of the frame..... It's easy to pick holes in other people's work,,,, and nobody's work is ever perfect, but there can be no denying through your photo's, that this is poor workmanship. The boss of the installation company would not accept that in his house that's for sure. Not a great advert!!

Roughcaster.

The holes were too big for the sockets as you rightly spotted. So I had them back the next day, but that also means a weeks delay now as the electrician couldn't finish his second fit.

We may not fit skirting boards for now but we do plan to tile the floors so the wonky walls are going to show badly against the straight tiles anyway :(

If we wanted skirting boards they were going to fit them first and plaster upto them. I thought that method had died out. Going without at least gives me the option to add them later myself.

As I expected, wanna be plasterers. No point in me adding to the criticism but in reality it can all be sorted into a decent job by someone who knows what they are doing; no need to remove boards unless they have seriously cocked that up as well! Don’t pay any more money & complain in the strongest possible terms to the DG company & call their surveyor back; if it gets difficult, ask him point blank “would you be satisfied with that in your house”. I guarantee it always kills them stone dead cos the answer is, obviously, NO; & then you have upper hand for bargaining so make sure you use it!

Thanks for the advice guys :D

Will give them a ring and keep you posted on the results.

If we don't sort it now it never will be I suppose.

Cheers

Spoke to the guy today

got "We've never had a problem in 20yrs he's been working for us" :eek:

Anyway he's coming round with the 'plasterer' tomorrow to have a look.

Keep u posted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back