How important are trade qualifications?

P

pongoman

I do up houses and sell for profit and want to develop a high end building business alongside. How important are qualifications when hiring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I knew a shopkeeper who sold up and became a builder, one of the best stonemasons I've ever dealt with, a graphic designer who got his degree and became a roofer contractor immediately after University, couldn't fault his work.
A labourer who worked his way up to a site agent with no qualifications or formal training, though he packed it all in for some reason, last time I saw him was holding a lottery cheque for £4000000 in The Sun.
I also know some builders with C & G etc who are quite frankly useless.

Qualifications nowadays don't really mean alot, if you did an apprenticeship or vocational qualification 10 or 20 years ago you will probably have done a quality course with some proper learning, now the courses are just there for education establishments to make money from the government, its just a money making game they don't care if your actually any good at it or it's of any use as long as you get them the payment from the government, universities aren't much different either

Sponsored Links
Can it be OK to use a builder who hasn't got any formal qualifications

A large part of building works is organisation.

Most failures and delays fall down because of a lack of organisation.

Every building project needs 3 things:

Information
Materials
Labour

organised builders that have tidy vans and tidy sites probably have organised workflow and are usually better than ones who aren't

If the builder opens his van door and he disappears in a cloud of paperwork and crisp packets.....he won't be organised.

As a customer you can help ensure the "information" part is available when it's needed......have a proper schedule of works and proper drawings.

If you've seen tender documents from a professional architect they will have every detail listed in a clear spreadsheet e.g.

4.00 electrics
4.1 new consumer unit
4.11 16 way 100 amp

5.00 joinery
5.1 stairs

Etc etc etc

Project delays and rework is often a customer failure.

Your own efforts in due diligence will be far more important than trade qualifications.

Qualifications and the ability to pass what these days are usually very dumbed down tests are no way of measuring how good someone is at their job.

recommendations , other customers stories , proof local builders who have lived in the area for many years try that .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back