Starting a small building business

Sponsored Links
Let's not get this out of proportion. Project management is not rocket science and you don't need a degree in astro physics to do it. I've been doing it already and I'm not even trained so it can't be that difficult otherwise I wouldn't have done it myself.
This is where most of the landlords go wrong.
They think they're saving money by managing the projects themselves but...
1. Usually they don't have access to trade prices for quality material
2. They don't have people they can trust to attend cock ups at short notice
3. They don't have the experience to spot problems early
4. They haven't seen enough bodged jobs to know what a piece of plasterboard can hide
5. Ultimately they end up with spending more money to rectify a bodged job

However, in your business of refurbishing and selling properties it's a completely different game.
You buy a wreck, hide all faults and splash some fresh paint here and there.
A cheap kitchen and bathroom with some biscuit tiles and the property is ready to make you money.
Stick to it.
I was approached many times by property developers to fit kitchens, floors and doors.
They asked for the cheapest material, the cheapest labour and speed of light.
Their punchline was "as long as it looks clean and fresh".
My answer: "sorry mate, can't fit 20 doors, frames and architraves in a day for £100. Call someone else and never contact me again"
A cheeky bugger asked me to fit 120m2 of laminate and skirting in a property he was converting into bedsits.
When I saw what he was doing i politely priced myself out of the job.
He had the guts to call me next day and offer £50 day if I did it in 3 days. £150 total.
I politely told him to f@ck off.

So you can pull in £60,000-£100,000 without risking your own money. Go for it.
It's usual to have one side put in the money and the other put in skills and labour

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If you are a good project manager you can earn that p.a. without investing or risking your capital

Right, let me get this straight:
  • Your main source of income will be flipping houses.
  • Rather than have to employ lots of different tradesmen on an ad-hoc basis, you would rather emply a skilled general builder full time to do most of the jobs that currently you have to organise lots of different tradesmen to do.
  • You currently project manage flipping houses, as well as taking on some of the less skilled work.
  • You would also like to take on smaller jobs for private clients that would keep your employee busy when there isn't enough work on the houses you are flipping.
  1. If you also want your skilled general builder to project manage, what will you be doing?
  2. Why do you need a general builder to do that for you?
The idea would be to have a main source of income from refurbishing houses and selling them

This is where most of the landlords go wrong.
They think they're saving money by managing the projects themselves but...
1. Usually they don't have access to trade prices for quality material
I do have all my own building trade accounts/trade prices

If you are a good project manager you can earn that p.a. without investing or risking your capital
I've not been doing it long enough to call myself experienced.

10 to 20 is a pretty vague plan. Sounds like you’ve only done one this year and have tied up some of your capital in it

10 to 20 is a pretty vague plan. Sounds like you’ve only done one this year and have tied up some of your capital in it
Just depends how quickly they can be sold

Obviously you've looked closely at how much you expect to turn over in a year, and how much profit you expect to make (after you've paid yourself a wage, and used some of the income to put down as a deposit on the next, more profitable property, etc etc)
So it depends on how much is left to pay an employee, and obviously how much that will save you going forward (how much do you currently spend in a year on tradesmen, and how much will that reduce?) Have you done projections of that nature?

Many successful developers start like you and sometimes build up massive businesses. I've worked for a developer myself who started with nothing and now employs five hundred people. I'd join you tomorrow if I had the money!

One thing I would say is that the amount you spend must depend on the area of the country, the type of property and the ceiling price for the street. No point spending more than necessary on a cheap house on a cheap street in a cheap area, but obviously developing prime property in an expensive area higher a level of finish would be expected (and would probably pay for itself).

Last edited:
Obviously you've looked closely at how much you expect to turn over in a year, and how much profit you expect to make (after you've paid yourself a wage, and used some of the income to put down as a deposit on the next, more profitable property, etc etc)

The focus is to do as much of the building work myself as possible

Let's not get this out of proportion. Project management is not rocket science and you don't need a degree in astro physics to do it. I've been doing it already and I'm not even trained so it can't be that difficult otherwise I wouldn't have done it myself.

In theory it's easy, in practice not so much

Unless you are very experienced in building works + you have a team of great subbies......you aren't going to project manage well.

All you need is to have all 3 of these available at the same time:

Information
Materials
Labour

Delays are always when one of those is missing

Quality pays it's own dividend, quality means happy customers, happy customers mean word of mouth and word of mouth is the best marketing in the world and there's nothing else as good. Quality is a virtuous circle, you just have to be a fundamentally honest person, you need to be able to charge for the quality work and explain to the customer why you are charging more than someone else and be proud of your quality and be proud of your higher price.
All of this applies to builders, but you're a property developer.
I have done it myself a few times, buy a wreck at a discounted price, splash of paint, cheap kitchen, cheap bathroom and best of all, brand new combi boiler.
Sold in 2 months to the first viewer.
Now, if you had to fit a £20k kitchen, or even an average £10k, you won't be making money on it, what you spend will not increase the property value by double your expense.
Same for extensions and any work to a high standard.
To make money you need to make the property livable, not a luxury.
Many times I advised customers against building an extension with the view of selling soon after.
They lost money or remained in the property.
Example: you have a £200k property in decent conditions.
Build an extension, call it £40k at the cheap.
You will not sell the property for £280k, not even £240k, so you will lose money.
Property prices are set for the area and change slightly accordingly to condition.
So in an area where a 3 bedroom semi is £250k average, you will not sell for £350k whatever you've done to it.
Be wise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back