Starting a small building business

P

pongoman

I'm wanting to set up a building business. I currently I buy houses, fix them up and sell them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I suppose you want to pay peanuts for someone to run around like an headless chicken and do your dirty work.
It will not work.
I was offered several times to "manage" work for others and be on a fixed salary.
Last time, in 2012 I asked for £75k plus a company car.
The smartass wanted to pay £20k max.
I told him to look for a labourer.

Sounds like you should be the project manager yourself, and employ other tradesmen to do the actual building.
If you have several sites you'd need to be able to trust them to get on with work unsupervised but be able to drop in on the sites periodically to speak to the client, check work, and discuss the details with the trades. You'd need to always be only a phone call away and ready to go to site if there is a problem that needs your input.
You'd also be responsible for all the "P"s: pricing, procurement, and programme, and ensuring the jobs end on time and on budget, and to the client's satisfaction.
I'd imagine that this is the kind of thing you do day-in day-out refurbishing properties, so unless it would cost you more time than you have available, why not take it on yourself?

Sponsored Links
I suppose you want to pay peanuts for someone to run around like an headless chicken and do your dirty work. It will not work. I was offered several times to "manage" work for others and be on a fixed salary. Last time, in 2012 I asked for £75k plus a company car. The smartass wanted to pay £20k max. I told him to look for a labourer.
£20k is not much for builders.

Sounds like you should be the project manager yourself, and employ other tradesmen to do the actual building.
If you have several sites you'd need to be able to trust them to get on with work unsupervised but be able to drop in on the sites periodically to speak to the client, check work, and discuss the details with the trades. You'd need to always be only a phone call away and ready to go to site if there is a problem that needs your input.
You'd also be responsible for all the "P"s: pricing, procurement, and programme, and ensuring the jobs end on time and on budget, and to the client's satisfaction.
I'd imagine that this is the kind of thing you do day-in day-out refurbishing properties, so unless it would cost you more time than you have available, why not take it on yourself?

How much do you think it would cost to find a good general builder?

I suppose you want to pay peanuts for someone to run around like an headless chicken and do your dirty work.
It will not work..
If that will not work then what would work, share your thoughts?

The problem is I'm not a builder or trradesman so the trades will pick this up and I need at least a general builder - how much should I pay to find a general builder?
What is your role in the refurbishment of the houses you buy? It seems to me that if you aren't a tradesman, you can still pick up the project management side of the jobs. It means your tradesmen then are free to concentrate on the practical side of things.
What do you see your role being in the new business, if not taking on the project management side of things? I think maybe taking on a general builder would be something to think about later if and when the business is taking on more work and bigger jobs, and is more profitable.

What is your role in the refurbishment of the houses you buy? It seems to me that if you aren't a tradesman, you can still pick up the project management side of the jobs. It means your tradesmen then are free to concentrate on the practical side of things.
What do you see your role being in the new business, if not taking on the project management side of things? I think maybe taking on a general builder would be something to think about later if and when the business is taking on more work and bigger jobs, and is more profitable.
I buy them and refurbish them myself

Cheers Ron! I generally buy them and refurbish them myself just using basic DIY skills and relying on the trades, I've not really got enough experience to call myself a builder or tradesman.
Do you reckon it's something I could learn myself? I don't mind my own places but doing jobs for customers I feel I want a good all rounder
I don't know - you say you've got a background in selling, so I'd imagine you'll be good at the people side of things. Obviously it's handy to have experience as a builder to understand the issues that may arise, but some people are natural managers, and they can project manage anyone and anything. Depending on the level, sales jobs require project management skills, don't they. You will obviously have some experience of dealing with the technical issues through your experience of flipping houses. Do you still work in sales or do you flip houses full time? Obviously if you currently have a day job, then it all becomes more difficult.
I think if you want to employ a general builder to do the project management for you, there won't be any margin left in the jobs for you, as you'll be competing against people who provide the whole package themselves.

There are many freshly retired, experienced builders who provide this kind of service.
I personally provide and quote accordingly to the job.
For example, a standard rear extension is between £2k to £3k.
As said, I was offered last time in 2012 to do the dirty work for a landlord, but they didn't wanna pay.
I think the only way to make this work is to find a project manager and pay him/her for each job they do.
The problem with this is that when you need them most they're busy with something else because they're not your employees.
Another solution: find a good project manager and become business partners in the buying and selling of properties.
Think about it.

I've not read all the posts,

But why not offer a partnership where the builder earns a percentage of the profits from each build.

Make it a 60/40 or 70/30 etc split with you the controlling interest and bank roller.

You likely get a better buy in from the guy you want, as it would be in his interest to finish them quickly and to a high standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back