how long to add gas cooker point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen with a wall mounted gas boiler, but no gas cooker point. I want to get a CORGI bloke in to add one but am having trouble finding one who will actually quote me instead of just giving me an hourly rate without telling me how long it might take. Can anyone tell me roughly how long this should take, so I know what I might end up paying.

I can see the gas pipe going into the boiler along the wall. The cooker will be about 6' away. Are we talking 1 hour, 2, 5 or 10?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
may not be able to tee into the boiler supply mate

so how long is a piece of string?, call around and ask someone out to give you a quote rather than an hourly rate

hmm, well i was told by the gas bloke who used to service the boiler that it should just be question of running the pipe off that supply. he sounded confident about it, but wouldn't do it as he's now retired. got golf to play i imagine and too loaded to care about the money. should have asked him how long at the time, but didn't and don't have his number. my own fault, true, but i am where i am now.

as for asking them to come round and quote that's the point - i've been asking but they won't. job too small i imagine. i.e. too small for them, but blank cheque for me.

Sponsored Links
Yep, naked flame on wooden vessel probably not recommended I know, but at least there'll be plenty of water about.

In Surrey. Home of stockbrokers and landed gentry. Sadly I am neither and thus can't afford to write blank cheques :(

Still, never mind, if it really is a 'piece of string' question I'll just have to risk it won't I, otherwise I'll be eating microwave dinners forever.

Sounds easy enough tho maybe 1 or 2 hours

Would the pipe have to run behind units etc or is it just a straight run along the wall ?

You'll also want the installation of the cooker done and Notified to Building Control? £150 should be plenty. Anywhere near the A3?

We would quote a fixed price of £65 plus bits at say £10.

I always thought that we might be too cheap.

I really dont understand why people still want to quote hourly rates for small jobs.

We always quote fixed prices!

Tony

Well then, Noah, better get Agile in.

Most of us in the trade know better than to quote for 'simple jobs' over the phone, they are the ones that will take all day. At this stage Agile doesn't know how many kitchen units he has to drill through, or even if the addition of the cooker will under gas the boiler.

A brave man, and one who's offer should be snapped up. Do tell us how you get on.

To do a job you have to do almost a whole Landlord's type gas chack on the whole house, plus the customer usually wants the cooker installed/commissioned, with chain. If the pipe to the boiler is undersized it'll need a new gas pipe as well, before anyone can connect to it. Then if it's a token meter which turns itself off what happens?

Easy to quote a fixed price for a job which is out of your area! ;)

Thanks for all the advice.

If it is OK, it should be fine because there are no kitchen units to go through - just straight down the wall.

But I take your point about the pipe - it is 15mm all the way from the meter into the boiler (Concord WRS). So maybe it is not that simple and will need a new 22mm pipe all the way.

Well, we'll see. Thanks again for all the comments. At least I know what the issues are now.

ChrisR said:
To do a job you have to do almost a whole Landlord's type gas chack on the whole house, plus the customer usually wants the cooker installed/commissioned, with chain. If the pipe to the boiler is undersized it'll need a new gas pipe as well, before anyone can connect to it. Then if it's a token meter which turns itself off what happens?

Easy to quote a fixed price for a job which is out of your area! ;)

he does that alot :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back