How much power should my alarm consume?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just received a 'free' energy monitor from my electricity supplier for changing to paperless billing.

After setting it up, I noticed a constant 0.045 kW load, which I eventually traced to the intruder alarm, by turning off its dedicated MCB I got a display of 0.000 kW on the monitor. Is 45w normal for a system with 5 x PIR's, 2 x external sounders (one is dummy but still has flashing LED's) and one back lit keypad?

The system is Guardtec, sorry, I don't know the model, but it has a 'blind' main panel hidden away, and one remote keypad near the front door. It's about 10 years old, but is serviced regularly and had new batteries fitted to the external sounder and main panel 18 months ago.

Could it be that the energy monitor is inaccurate at the low end? It seems to register large items like kettle, oven etc., at their stated power ratings.

Strangely the combined permanent load of central heating programmer, TV signal booster, 2 x alarm clocks, 2 x wireless phone chargers plus base unit and 3 x mechanical timers, doesn't register anything at all.

Sponsored Links
Dont trust these energy monitors, the fact you got it for free says alot.

i had one too but got rid as it was all over the place

The consumption of your system will be low provided you have it serviced regular, for example a bad battery thats not been changed for some time will make the charging circuit work harder and thus consume more energy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back