How often do you use Amazon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are some pro and anti Amazon folk on here, what camp do you fall into?

Personally, I love the choice and convenience it offers. For example, recently I ordered the following:

Foam golf balls.
USB-C adapters.
Small smartphone tripod.
Colour changing LED bulb with remote.
Basic lamp base.
Treadmill silicon lubricant.

All delivered to my door within 3 days, could have been quicker but I always choose the cheapest postage option :)

Some folk say 'support your local shops, don't use Amazon!' however for me to buy the above mix of goods from local shops would either involve going to multiple locations or at the very least going in/out multiple shops in my local shopping centre. And even then, I possibly wouldn't find everything I need.

How often do you use Amazon and why? Likewise if you're anti Amazon, why?

Sponsored Links
Just bought

wing mirror cover
boot cleaner
water system purifying crystals
batteries for blood sugar monitor
food grade water hose & connectors
beard trimmer
long shoe horns
some delivered next day, would take ages to buy separately and involve a trip to town (10 miles)
plus Kindle books

Use it all the time. Have Amazon Prime, so often delivery is free and next day, sometimes same day.
Recent orders include:

Dig whistle
Long line dog lead
Pukka green tea
cable protectors
CR2032 batteries
Adagio Pro Capo
GCSE Sociology Revision Guide
All-new Kindle Paperwhite
50 Brown Rawlplugs
Steel Easy Fix Washers 34mm

Would use a lot more petrol, as well as possible parking fees, so buy all of these locally. And eat into my day. Instead I can carry on working and the delivery boy runs errands for me.

Just had a look and last year i had 132 orders:eek: i am now buying more elsewhere, the cost on Amazon is excessive for most things now.

Sponsored Links
Not so much now. My son has left and was paying for prime and they have family prime. So what I buy now depends on cost. Prior to prime I just paid a postage cost. Now I need to spend over £20 for free postage and also to buy anything. They do their best to get me to try prime for free. In fact I have to click the right way to get past that.

:mrgreen: I still get prime video. If that goes I probably will pay for prime.

Cheaper spend - depends but so far usually ebay. Actually that can be a cheaper price on some items.

Last Christmas I found Argos to be better than Amazon for a few things - Amazon sold out before Argos, I think many people forget about Argos.
Handy as it's in the local Sainsburys so can pick items up when doing the food shopping

I use it. Recent purchases include:
A hoe
USB cable
Replacement Panasonic remote control
Watch battery
Euro cylinder
Garlic - for growing.
VW timing tool
Serpentine belt stretcher
Nitrile gloves
Mechanics mat
Macerator descaler fluid
Spare battery for ring doorbell
A couple of pairs of workboots
15kg of dry dog kibble

I have Prime membership too so generally get quick delivery. I have it for work so a deductible work expense. Benefit is that I also gets Prime TV and prime reading for at home although I can get any prime tv content (as well as Disney+, Apple TV+, Britbox and Netflix) for free through a special programme on my firestick. ;)

Last edited:
Not at all, unless it's a hard to find book or music. Or I've bought something on ebay and it, annoyingly, is fulfilled by Amazon. It constantly amazes me that virtue signalling leftoids are happy to feed their addiction to it but on the other hand gripe and moan about tax avoidance of the off-shorers. One and the same.

The high street is destroyed by competition from online shopping (not necesarily a bad thing).
Online shopping is destroyed by monopolisation by Amazon.
Amazon are now starting up bricks and mortar stores..

Nozzle

Not at all, unless it's a hard to find book or music. Or I've bought something on ebay and it, annoyingly, is fulfilled by Amazon. It constantly amazes me that virtue signalling leftoids are happy to feed their addiction to it but on the other hand gripe and moan about tax avoidance of the off-shorers. One and the same.

The high street is destroyed by competition from online shopping (not necesarily a bad thing).

Nozzle
So you do use Amazon despite your protests

Nozzle

It's an interesting point. I can't see High Streets ever returning to what they historically were. Every few years new initiatives crop up, 'gurus' employed by government to rejuvenate them. Often doesn't come to much. Edge/out of town retail parks and supermarkets are much more convenient if you need to go to physical stores.

I usually look for what I want on amazon anyway especially dearer stuff as sometimes they are cheaper. The £20 aspect doesn't matter then. Also things like a die grinder I wanted. Won't be used much so wanted a cheaper unit. The reviews help with that sort of thing :ROFLMAO: however on items like that some wont have a clue what to expect power wise They are for light work not removing loads of metal.

I'm much more of an Ebay user than Amazon. Last year was 23 Ebay purchases to 1 Amazon. Won't bore you with the items I bought. Just prefer Ebay, often seems to have more choice and better prices. It has saved me a fortune over the years as been using almost since day one. High st couldn't offer anything like the range and choice on Ebay, and even with the delivery cost, the items are cheaper than schlepping into town. Do feel guilty about demise of high st, but what with price of fuel, parking and the new Ulezzer zone being introduced here later in year (£9 if I want to drive :evil: ) - looking like they don't want me to go there anyway.

use it all the time, even just to compare prices and read negative reviews to get an idea on product

the argument against amazon is interesting as few people also know of there other interests , particular AWS
just look at the companies using their webservice - its HUGE
UK Government, HMRC, Nat trust, Unilever, netflix , Disney, Bgas, ITV , Formula1 to name just a few

Been using Amazon for 22 years.

Used them a lot more over the past decade and even more during the lockdowns.

Mrs Secure feels bad and thinks I should use the high street more.

Sponsored Links
Back