How safe are keysafes?

Sponsored Links
About as secure as a window or door.
I can open most doors that have letter boxes fitted in the middle, using a stick. takes a few seconds and I'm not a pro.

I have one, but its semi hidden and covered by cctv

I have one out of sight in the carport

Next to the front door might be handy, but it's pretty obvious to anyone who might consider breaking in.

Not all that safe imo.
We needed one for my old man and were warned by the council and the hospital to make sure it was out of sight. There had been an increase of burglaries using these in the area. We didn't need it for long and felt happier once it had gone.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted three keysafe supra 500’s for elderly relatives, on private houses and social housing flats and they have stood up well. The fixings are excellent and there is space inside for three or four keys, unlike the cheap models which are much easier to break into.

Blup

There was a keysafe on the house I just bought. Didn't know the combination. One hit with a hammer it was off the wall, another hit it was open.
OK, so long as your burglar is not carrying a hammer. If they see it and come back, they will get in.

I guess some are better than others though.

I have one well hidden at the back of my house just in case one of us lose our keys and can’t get in or in case we get a call from a neighbour when we're on holiday telling us the alarm is going off. Safer than leaving it under a pot I suppose. I also have a couple fitted at the workshop for regular customers to pick up their cars after I have gone home. Nobody has ever tried breaking into them.

That reminds me. There’s still a keysafe fitted in a visible location outside my mums house. No keys in it now and we’ve forgot the combination. It was fitted for a career to get in when my Dad was ill and my mum was in hospital. Lots of old folk have them fitted by the front door so that different careers can enter the premises. Trouble is, they can be viewed as a pointer for those scum that prey on the frail and elderly and attract the wrong attention. I’ll have to get rid of it.

Good ones are about £90 I think they're the only police approved ones, I can't see any resisting any 18v angle grinder.

If they want to get in they will ........europe wide they have windows shutters or decorative grills ........another reason the leave vote was a winner ....must be dire over there ....of course in good old blight it's lock snapping thats an issue .........the glass in the windows is English castle glass

do you mean they resisted attempts by burglars to open them?

Two previously fitted cheap screwfix products had easily been levered off the wall or broken open in situ, but the supra has not been attacked.

Blup

My wife runs a security company on behalf of a friend. They place caretakers in vacant properties and have key safes fitted at various locations. Over the fifteen years she has been involved with the company they have only had one attempt at someone trying to get into one. It failed the angle grinder test!
Can't remember them name of them but I know they are very expensive. I'm away for a few days but will try to remember to ask her the make when I return.

My mother had a key safe by her front door. It was concealed as part of an item that one could expect to see on or close to a front door. The item provided a function totally unrelated to being a key safe.

Part of the item was removable to expose the key safe combination lock.

I will not say what the item was as I believe they are still available.

Sponsored Links
Back