How to bleed oil supply - old Danfoss pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. We have an airlock in the oil line of the burner here due to running out of oil. I've got an idea of the process of how to bleed the air out but just not 100% sure which is the right valve to open to bleed it. Pump is an old Danfoss MSLC032. I've attached a photo of the actual pump though it's not the best quality as it's very dark where the boiler is. I can take more pics if needed.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Tom
IMG_20161130_120005.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hell that's a museum piece! Dont touch anything on the face where the plate is, but the lower of the fittings facing you is a bleed nipple, I'm pretty sure.
Crack it open and see if kero is there.....if not, try to start the burner with the nipple just cracked open - kitchen roll standing by!
Is your oil tank higher than the burner?
John :)

Thanks for the speedy reply! Yes, this antique will be replaced at some point soon but for the moment it's still going somehow.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the fitting I've circled here? Is there any risk in getting it wrong? e.g. if that's not the right fitting to crack open?

IMG_20161130_120005_2.jpg

That's the one.....all screws will be tight apart from one on the front panel which can adjust the oil pressure.
However, just in case I'm talking out of my backside - a frequent occurrence - put a spanner on and turn anticlockwise.....you can always return it to the set position afterwards.
Normally I would open a joint from a flexible pipe leading into the oil pump and bleed from there first - this usually gets things rolling.
Hope it goes well..... -4 here today!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all! I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Surviving on electric heat for now. It's freezing here too!

Just want to say we got it going by bleeding from the fitting indicated, so thanks again for the help! Bit of a squealing noise coming from it but burner is going and producing heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back