How to clean brick work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a question on how to clean or treat a brick wall that seems to have gone a chalky white color. I was told this was salt levels in the brick that escape and make the face work stain with a white color.

The builder did try cleaning the bricks using an acid cleaner this did not seem to do the trick.

Can someone recommend an alternative treatment to follow to try and restore the color of the bricks back to the original state.

thanks. Irfy.

PS.. I don't want to render of paint the bricks, this would become too much of an overhead in the future.

Sponsored Links
To be honest you may as well just leave it - if it is salt leaching out of the brick's it'll disappear in time - trying to clean it / treat it it a bit like trying to ice skate uphill. Try and ignore it and as far as I'm aware it'll go away in time. There may be some treatment out there already but save yer cash - tis but an annoyance of modern brickery as far as I'm aware :(

Same thing happens with lots of building products, nearly every block drive I lay ends up effloressing a bit. This wears off over time (probably quicker on a drive as it gets more wear). However, it does appear that sometimes it doesnt do it, I think its the position and weather conditions that sometimes stop it. Its not doing any damage!

Sponsored Links
only one way of getting rid of salt in yer brickwork and thats is to brush it off with a dry brush you will have to do it a fair few times til its gone though if you wet it ,it will disolve into brickwork and reappear when it dries so just keep dusting it of with dry brush and it go away ,if you dont it will keep coming back for years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back