How to drill into ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new shower head and rail-I will need to drill a hole through the ceramic wall tile. Obviously u use a drill but what type? Is there a special one to get as the drill will no doubt slip if I use a "normal" drill bit-cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
If you can, drill into the grout lines.

If not, then place a strip of masking tape over the spot at which you need to drill, and mark the spot with a pencil.

Turn the hammer action off on your drill or you'll almost certainly crack the tile.

Ok-thanks for that-Yes the groat line for grip or tape-should be no problem,cheers for that!

Wouldn't drill into grout lines or you'll likely chip the tile.

Sponsored Links
Use a masonry bit, hammer action off. I would definately keep clear of grout lines. The bit can jam and cause damage to the tiles. Bad idea in my opinion.

joe-90 said:
Small chips, which can happen, don't matter, because the hole is for mounting a shower rail.

daverik said:
I would definately keep clear of grout lines. The bit can jam and cause damage to the tiles.
Only if you're clumsy, but even then the damage is minimal and gets hidden behind the thing that's being mounted.

Bad idea in my opinion.
It isn't an "idea", it's something I do regularly, and without any problem. Ever.

Forget ll this drill/grout/chips/cracks/ideas malarky..

None of em know what they are on about..

Use a couple of nails..

;)

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
Small chips, which can happen, don't matter, because the hole is for mounting a shower rail.

daverik said:
I would definately keep clear of grout lines. The bit can jam and cause damage to the tiles.
Only if you're clumsy, but even then the damage is minimal and gets hidden behind the thing that's being mounted.

Bad idea in my opinion.
It isn't an "idea", it's something I do regularly, and without any problem. Ever.

But the poster is obviously inexperienced or they wouldn't be asking would they? They may put the flat of the bit deep into the grout line and squeeze the trigger.
C'mon Softus. Be a man and admit you got it wrong.

drilling ceramic tile is easy. first don't drill in cracks the tiles will crack or break. next use any carbide drill bit in a variable speed drill. first mark spot to be drilled and carefully and ligthly using a hammer and nail mark spot hit only hard enough to mark glazed surface not hard enough to penetrate tile then drill, the mark will prevent drill bit from skating around
IMPORTANT-- use low speed on drill for drilling the slower the better do this and you will have no problem.

I can't recommend the centre punch method on tiles. :eek: If you can hold your drill level and square to the wall then a pencil mark is all you need. Start very slowly - practice on some offcuts if you're not confident.

As gcol says....do not use the centre punch method.... :eek: :rolleyes:

I always apply a few strips of masking tape, which helps prevent the drill from slipping. Make sure your hammer action is OFF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back