how to find a neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya everyone could someone out their help me please,when i install a boiler etc and a new room thermostat is to be fitted it can be very confusing as to what wires are what,find the live no problem and the earth wire is normally used for a switched live,naughty and i have always tagged it for future reference if another person touches the thermostat.when i run a wire to a new location i make sure i install 4 core

please can someone help how do you get a true test to find the neutral i would be extremly grateful if someone could just clear this frustrating question up please.

all the best

gary

Sponsored Links
it amazes me that nearly everytime i go to wire up a new room stat or cylinder stat the someone has run a normale 3 core instead of a 4 core and used the earth wire as a switched live.

i put a small bit of insulating tape to warn other

all the best

gary

heating tech said:
it amazes me that nearly everytime i go to wire up a new room stat or cylinder stat the someone has run a normale 3 core instead of a 4 core and used the earth wire as a switched live.

all the best

gary

and you are the one who said

heating tech said:
the earth wire is normally used for a switched live,naughty

Sponsored Links
heating tech said:

all the best

gary

using the earth as a live is extremely dangerous and should NOT be done. you should have told them to use the right cable to start with. 3C+E

And now that electrical work is a controlled service in terms of the Building Regulations it is illegal for you to re-use a cpc as a switched live when installing new stats.

You have 2 options:

1) Rewire it properly

2) Walk away

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Using the earth as a live conductor is not recommended and is dangerous. NEVER do this for that reason i am locking this post

If you are not sure how to carry out any task please consult a professional

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back