How to finish this roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has a problem with damp at her house. It appears to be caused by a botch job with the edge of her roof. It is mainly affecting the left hand side of a small extention roof.

I am not sure how finish the edge of the roof to prevent the wall from getting soaked, and also what to do with the guttering too.

The half tiles down the left are 'bedded' into cement, but they are all loose at the moment.

I was wondering about some sort of flashing to either keep the water on the roof until the bottom where it will go into the gutter, or to make sure the water goes into the gutter to the left of the roof.

Here's a couple of photos of the affected area.

Any ideas?

BD698E77-0AE5-4B27-91C9-F73C64CE86AF-268-0000001E23665C7C.jpg

B678D84B-9692-45D1-8294-1054BC1F6AE1-268-0000001E14194F4B.jpg

E074C3D3-B2A2-4FA6-A9A3-1B9A447111B0-268-0000001E1D1A42B2.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's the pitch? Form those photos it looks very shallow to say the least. But that could be an illusion.

my guess would be replace the tiles on the edge with wider tiles that overhang more and hopefully curve up a bit to hold the water on the roof till it finds the front gutter

As above.....I reckon the water is dripping off the edge of those tiles and missing the gutter completely......rather the water is running back underneath.
It could need a watering can test!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Same as above, remove the cut tiles up the side, replace with full tiles it will give more overhang.
The existing doesn't look far from flush with the wall.

I think the tiles are cut virtually flush with the wall, and you're right, the water is missing the gutter and running straight down the wall.

There is a slight pitch to the roof which you can maybe make out in the first picture, but it's only about maybe a 1 in 12 slope.

The whole thing is one big bodge. It's actually 2 small extentions all kind of cobbled together.

Next question then, does someone know what the tiles are called so I can ask for the right thing at the builders yard? Are these tiles likely to be nailed to the roofing battens, or do they just hook on?

Thanks for the help so far.

it looks like some kind of concrete single roman tile, not sure which one. is it deffo flat coming down from the roll, if its curved it could be a Marley anglia

FWIW: just to add my two pee to whats been said above.

1. I'd go for Marley Anglia as well, but OP, merely lift a tile and look underneath for the name.

2. I dont see any underfelt feeding into the gutters, or undercloak projecting 50mm from the verge. The verge tiles should be clipped and pointed in.

3. As above, full tile req'd at the verge, a shunt wont do it.

4. Are they true 90 degree gutter angles? Whatever, the gutter lengths are too long and require clipping back to the gutter angle line.

5. There are two significant horizontal cracks in the recess wall area, and a stop bead has been used on the outside corner - an angle bead is a must.

6. Plastic paint should not be used on exteriors.(It actually looks like woodchip).

7. The render, most likely, will have to be hacked off and replaced.

Wow, that's quite a reply! Thanks :)

FWIW: just to add my two pee to whats been said above.

1. I'd go for Marley Anglia as well, but OP, merely lift a tile and look underneath for the name.

I'll take out a full tile. There's a massive builders merchants not too far away. I'll take it there and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

2. I dont see any underfelt feeding into the gutters, or undercloak projecting 50mm from the verge. The verge tiles should be clipped and pointed in.

I'm not sure there's any underfelt at all to be honest. As I said, it's a right bodge job. I realise ideally it should be completely felted, but could I get away with just putting a bit in at the bottom of the roof for now?

What is undercloak please? I'll sort the pointing when I get the new wider tiles on.

4. Are they true 90 degree gutter angles? Whatever, the gutter lengths are too long and require clipping back to the gutter angle line.

That's some of the best guttering on the house! The whole lot leaks like a seive, and I'm working my way through replacing it all. I thought I'd be best getting the roof sorted first, before I ruin the nice new gutters.

5. There are two significant horizontal cracks in the recess wall area, and a stop bead has been used on the outside corner - an angle bead is a must.

Hmm, never really noticed them. I'll have a closer look next time I'm up there. The bead you can see is actually corner bead. I think it's just a trick of the camera which makes it look like stop bead.

6. Plastic paint should not be used on exteriors.(It actually looks like woodchip).

I think it might be something like that sand texture stuff. It's coming off all over the place where drain pipes and gutters have been leaking. I'll probably use something like leyland weatherguard to re paint

7. The render, most likely, will have to be hacked off and replaced.

There's a few patches which need repairing, but overall, it's not in too bad condition. I hope we've caught it just in time.

1. Tile makes are embossed on the underside of the tile.

2. Google fibre cement fillets and undercloak.

3. Rippings of felt here and there will be useless.

4. With respect, i'd suggest that your primary task is to take care of the gutters and downpipes.

Bit of an update, the tile is a forticrete centurion, and my local builders merchants put me onto a supplier about 10 miles away.

I ended up removing quite a bit of the roof, installing some fibre cement board undercloaking, pointing in the tiles, rebuilding part of the wall, and repairing the rendering.

6E78CD8F-1558-4D58-935F-BB2190EF575E-3941-0000079E224E54D2.jpg

58559B42-F0B5-45B3-B77F-821D508C81CD-3941-0000079E353E6F9F.jpg

890B0D69-81FB-4163-8084-B8214F117A0B-3941-0000079E4406143E.jpg

Just the wall to paint with some epoxy paint, and the new guttering to install now.

Is everything looking ok?

Spot on! you're in the wrong trade rf :D

Wont be any prob's now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back