How to fix a sink to a tiled stud wall???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just tiled my new ensuite and am about to fit the bathroom, but.....
The wall that the sink (with half pedestal) and the toilet will be fixed to a stud wall!!! I am unsure as to whether there are any batons behind, so my question is..... How can I fix them to the wall securely, I will be going through tiles and plasterboard, are there any fixing out there that will hold the sink

Please help
:/
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh dear. You really could have done with a batten or piece of ply behind the tiling :(

I wouldn't trust any plasterboard fixings with a basin (Not sink, they are for kitchens) full of water.

You may need a basin with a full height pedestal to take the weight

What in other side of wall? A room? Maybe you could access from there? Cut out plasterboard the area behind basin and fit plywood between stud wood, refix plasterboard and make good joint. Better than spoiling new wall tiles.

Toilet will be fine as cistern will sit on top of pan with screw to wall to stop cistern wobbling, most modern cistern might not have holes for fixing screw.

Daniel.

You really do need some support battening in the wall. not just for the basin but also for the pedestal (.although some are held up by springs)

Don't forget also that a semi-pedestal needs to have the waste pipes and supply pipes buried in the wall

Sponsored Links
You need a lot more than a batten to take the weight of a basin!

I put a couple of extra 4x2 noggins in my wall to take the weight. I then trial fitted the basin leaving the fixing studs in place and tiled around them ready to final fit the basin.

As has been said you may be able to gain access from the other side and then repair the damage done. It's either that or rip some tiles off!

You need a lot more than a batten to take the weight of a basin!

I put a couple of extra 4x2 noggins in my wall to take the weight. I then trial fitted the basin leaving the fixing studs in place and tiled around them ready to final fit the basin.

As has been said you may be able to gain access from the other side and then repair the damage done. It's either that or rip some tiles off!

By battening I did mean 4x2. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back