how to fix this ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some building work done and they put their foot through the ceiling near the pendant, so they cut that bit out and put a new square of board up , taped and skimmed it, feathering out to the painted ceiling, and painted. After a day or so the paint was bubbling off at the edges, and after poking around a bit half the plaster of the taped came away from the ceiling. I've hacked away the bits that seems loose.
There is also a crack next to this area which runs across the room, down the joint of two boards (I can see skim tape). There is a joist running along the edge of the right hand board, and 5-6 joists joining it at right angles from the left . If I pressed both sides would move a bit. I put another screw into each lefthand joist and 5-6 more in the right hand side, and noticed the board on the right (looking up) lifted a bit, causing a couple of old screws to pop plaster off. Now the boards are not quite level, maybe 2mm off at worst. I think the joists above aren't quite flush. I've drilled holes along the crack to put expanding foam in to try and stabilise it.
What I'm not clear about is how to re- plaster this area. Can I use Toupret interior filler for the crack and also the area where the feathered plaster fell away? What prep do I need on that area, PVA or can I go straight onto the old paint? Not sure why the skim fell off, but its come off in another room where they feathered over trade white emulsion too.
Any pointers appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
tape any cracks , if you can get it below the surface of the plaster and skim over with toupret. no need for pva.

tape any cracks , if you can get it below the surface of the plaster and skim over with toupret. no need for pva.
Would PVA help to stabilise the edges of the cracked off plaster? And should I key the painted bit somehow before applying toupret?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back