How to put inhibitor in a Fortic indirect cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having problems with the heating system. It's an Orion 40B boiler & an indirect Fortic cylinder. It seems to be the one marked as pattern 4 at the bottom of page 35 http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk/pdfs/sales/copper.pdf

The boiler starts making banging & kettling noises and then turns off completely, even the pilot goes out.

I want to put some inhibitor & silencer in the heating system but can't see anyway of accessing the smaller expansion cylinder inside the f&e tank on top of the Fortic cylinder for putting the inhibitor in.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the pump is working properly?

Tony

Yes, the pump (Grundfos) is spinning fine, although moving it to the 2nd speed setting & setting boiler stat to 2.5 improved things in that the boiler hasn't cut out now for a few hours & far less noise coming from it.

Last night there was only heat to the upstairs rads and turning all of them off this morning & setting pump to 3 got the downstairs ones working. I reopened all the upstairs ones after a couple of hours and all are working now.

The 3 port valve is also working fine - motor moves & removed the motor to check the valve body moves freely .

For some reason the house has 15 mil piping to the rads upstairs and 10 mil to the downstairs ones so I thought moving the pump to the next highest setting might help in circulating water downstairs.

The house was built in 1997 so the system isn't too old.

Setting "2" is the normal one and I would not expect it to work well on only "1" when you have some microbore in the system.

If it worked OK before then you may be starting to get some dirt in the system or in the eye of the pump.

If you felt inclined you could remove the pump head to inspect the impeller.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think I spoke too soon, the boiler has now cut out twice since putting the noise reducer in through a radiator.

I'll try taking the pump head off and see what's there.

As far as I know the pump has always been on the 1st setting since the system was installed so something has happened recently.

Cheers

sounds like a circulation problem. Check your pump isolation valves (remove pump) are not partially clogged up. Will need new pump washers though when replacing the pump. Also test pump's resistance (multimeter on ohms, power off to pump/system, measure between L and N terminals at pump with wires removed). See what you get.

Or you could have air in the system.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to look at taking the pump off next week as I work away from home during the week and need to set off now plus I don't have any new washers!

Thanks both of you for all the help.Tony - for some reason I can't register a thank you with the button but I'll try again later!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back