How to remove old BT box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am redecorating and there is an old BT box that I want removed. Can I take off the cover cover the wires with electrical tap and then fill the hole?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well how do I get rid?

Call BT and have them determine if it is still an operational connection. It's their line and their box.

Are there wires connecting to it?
Can we see a picture?

I don't have BT connected so surely the line has been disconnected.

The socket is the BT master socket. I'm happy to keep the wiring inside but just want to remove the facia so the exterior appearance is flush against wall.

I use Virgin Media, but the service comes via the BT copper, through the master socket.
Post a pic. There's an easy thing you can try if it is a proper NTE5A Master socket.
If you chop the wires and your Virgin stops then BT/Openthingy are gonna charge you mega£ to get it fixed.

I use Virgin Media, but the service comes via the BT copper, through the master socket.
Post a pic. There's an easy thing you can try if it is a proper NTE5A Master socket.
If you chop the wires and your Virgin stops then BT/Openthingy are gonna charge you mega£ to get it fixed.

Disconnected the wires from facia. And I am logged onto Internet. As I mentioned Virgin media fitted their own box inside. I'm not removing the wires just disconnecting and hiding.

If the original poster lives in a 'cabled' area, then the BT NTE will definitely be redundant. It's in his own house, he can do whatever he wants with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back