How to remove old BT box

Usually there is a box on the outside of the house where the cable - for example - comes out of the ground. There is then usually a cable from that box in through the wall to the master socket. If you can find the outside box, I'd be inclined to remove the wiring your side of that box. That leaves the service intact for other future users.

This is not legal advice though, just practical.

I haven't touched what is in the box outside or anywhere near. Literally all I have done is clipped the wires closest to the facia inside house

Sponsored Links
It's up to you. My gut feeling is not to have wires inside the house which have up to 70V between them (during ringing) which haven't been terminated inside separate insulators. And the outside cable is usually an unnecessary eyesore.

After you cut it it will have to be replaced anyway, so play it safe and remove it.

As I say, that's what I'd do in your situation. It is now completely your choice.

It's up to you. My gut feeling is not to have wires inside the house which have up to 70V between them (during ringing) which haven't been terminated inside separate insulators. And the outside cable is usually an unnecessary eyesore.

After you cut it it will have to be replaced anyway, so play it safe and remove it.

As I say, that's what I'd do in your situation. It is now completely your choice.

So you suggest removing the outside box as well? What's in there and where does that connect to? Do the wires stop at the box?

No most certainly not! Just the wire from inside the house to that box.

Sponsored Links
No most certainly not! Just the wire from inside the house to that box.

I was about to say!!
So the wires that I've just trimmed should fully be removed. I don't suppose there is a link that I can visually see? May be giving the electrician a call by the sounds of it!

You mentioned that the voltage when it rings... But if its disconnected surely there would be no power or is this not the case?

Not really. The only people you should be ringing is BT. If you don't understand how to remove the cable, then you shouldn't have cut it. You shouldn't really put an electrician into the position of damaging equipment belonging to BT.

The box on the outside of the house usually has a knurled knob on the outside and is easy to open. (You may have a different type). If you take the lid off it should be obvious how to remove the wire on your side of this box. It may require a small screwdriver.

If it really is not obvious to you then don't go any further. Call BT and say you made a horrible mistake.

Not really. The only people you should be ringing is BT. If you don't understand how to remove the cable, then you shouldn't have cut it. You shouldn't really put an electrician into the position of damaging equipment belonging to BT.

The box on the outside of the house usually has a knurled knob on the outside and is easy to open. (You may have a different type). If you take the lid off it should be obvious how to remove the wire on your side of this box. It may require a small screwdriver.

If it really is not obvious to you then don't go any further. Call BT and say you made a horrible mistake.

Yes I think I may do that for peace of mind. As it is the wires are all very well wrapped with electrical tape. It was a ridiculous situation. I had 4 boxes all cramped together covered with all sorts of paint and residue from the precious owner. An eye sore was an under statement.

BT won't talk to you because you have no contract with them.

What you have done is fine. Put some filler over it and move on!

You are worrying about nothing.

BT won't talk to you because you have no contract with them.

What you have done is fine. Put some filler over it and move on!

You are worrying about nothing.

but what about the voltage everyone is talking about?

I'm with slup.

This is one of these threads where people come along and make the "mountain out of molehill" jibes.

Snip the cables. Wrap the ends with insulating tape if that will help you sleep better, then, fill in the hole.

I'm with slup.

This is one of these threads where people come along and make the "mountain out of molehill" jibes.

Snip the cables. Wrap the ends with insulating tape if that will help you sleep better, then, fill in the hole.

well that's all i thought would be involved but reading all the posts it has made me slightly concerned.

I'm with slup.

well that's all i thought would be involved but reading all the posts it has made me slightly concerned.

Nah - you're fine.

1) BT are not going to break down your door and demand compensation for the damage you caused their £0.80 box
2) You're going to snip the cables and it is extremely unlikely that any two cores would decide to mate in the deep and dark confines of your wall
3) If you are concerned about that, then wrap electrical insulating tape round each end (even Tescos sell this, if you can't be bothered to head to B&Q)
4) In the extremely unlikely event that two cores did touch then it's not going to cause you any stress or harm

Snip. Wrap. Fill.

The provision of the copper cabling up to the NTE and the NTE itself is, and remains, the property of BT.

Automatic test equipment in the exchange will, after time, note the disconnected pair as spare.

The provision of the copper cabling up to the NTE and the NTE itself is, and remains, the property of BT.

Automatic test equipment in the exchange will, after time, note the disconnected pair as spare.

Had a thought this morning. If it is BT property and you are not allowed to touch it, can you request removal charge free? I have no contract nor ever have done with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back