How to replace wall lights with old style wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been trying to solve this for the last 4 hours and getting no where. I have two wall lights:

Wall Light 1
Sheath1- has 1 red wire, 1 bare wire and 1 black wire
Sheath2- has 1 black wire

I have connected this to the chocbox identical to previous wall light from image I took.

Wall Light 2
Sheath1 - has 1 red wire, 1 bare wire and 1 black wire
Sheath2 - has 1 red wire and 1 bare wire

(Picture of wiring for Wall Light 2 attached)

It is Wall Light 2 I am stuck because partner took it off the wall without taking a pic of the wiring. Any advice would be extremely welcome.
20160206_163648.jpg

Thank you.

Image of wall light and switch added (middle switch is for Wall lights)

Attachments

• IMG-20160206-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160206-WA0000.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 20160206_175117.jpg
    20160206_175117.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think a picture of light one would be more help.

Are both lights operated by the same switch?
If yes, which one is nearer the switch?

What is the problem you are having?

Send a picture or description of the one you successfully connected.

Also, assuming these lights were controlled by a wall switch, send some pictures of that too.

If the lights are controlled by a wall switch, do the wall lights come on together, or are they seperately switched?

Sponsored Links
I've added images for Wall Light 1 picture and switch. Wall Light 2 is closer to the switch. Thank you kindly.

The closest I got was getting both lights on when I turned the power back on which is no good as they were permanently on. When working correctly they should turn on at the same time ☺

The closest I got was getting both lights on when I turned the power back on which is no good as they were permanently on. When working correctly they should turn on at the same time ☺

And how were the wires connected up to achieve them permanently on?

Wall light 2 :

2 red together separate from the terminal. Bare wire from sheath 2 in live, black in neutral and bare from sheath 1 in earth slot.

Wall light 2 :

2 red together separate from the terminal. Bare wire from sheath 2 in live, black in neutral and bare from sheath 1 in earth slot.
And it worked like this? I'm concerned. You put one of the bare earths into live, the black into neutral, and it worked?!

I take it you don't have an RCD?

I know it's crazy but I had to try every possibility. Does anyone know where the wires should actually go? Just to note the bare I put in live has 12v coming from it when I tested it is assumed it could of been the switch wire....

DO NOT DO ANY MORE GUESSWORK.

That is not the safe way to work, and how you connected that was a very bad guess.

As for the light you have wired which you believe to be correct, you shouldn't have any exposed copper showing (the right hand wire with the grey sleeve).

If you confirm you have a digital multi meter then I can sort your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back