How to save money at Sainsburys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't shop at Sainsburys.

I was a regular until a Waitrose opened nearby. Then Sainsburys gave me a voucher for £1.50 off if I spent over £10. So I did, and I got another voucher. And another. Then they gave me a £2.25 off voucher if I spent over £15. I'm on my fifth £2.25 voucher. I wonder how long this will go on? Anyway, I'm a shopping tart, back to Waitrose as soon as the vouchers stop. :) I must admit I like Sainsburys wild sockeye salmon, much cheaper than Waitrose.

Sponsored Links
I have a nectar card with about £20 on it. I posted it back to Sainsbury's (I know they don't run nectar) with a letter of complaint.

Why?

Because every time I went to try and redeem the money, they told me I had to go in there 24 hours before I wanted to spend it and make a small purchase to "validate the card".

Every time I went in I was told to do this, but previous spends obviously did not register.

Eventually I gave up and posted my card back in disgust.

My missus is away with the sprogs at the mo, so I have had to go to the supermarket twice, TWICE I tell you, in the past week. That is about double what I would normally expect over a two month period.
I don't have any loyalty cards whatsoever. I'm sure I could probably save ten pence over a hundred years but I'm not inclined to lug around a small suitcase in my back pocket in order to do so.

My missus is away with the sprogs at the mo, so I have had to go to the supermarket twice, TWICE I tell you, in the past week. That is about double what I would normally expect over a two month period.
I don't have any loyalty cards whatsoever. I'm sure I could probably save ten pence over a hundred years but I'm not inclined to lug around a small suitcase in my back pocket in order to do so.

Sounds like she has violated your man rights. :) If you hear a thud, it's your man plums falling off.

Sponsored Links
For all Tesco's faults, their club card scheme is very good. We often get vouchers for around £15 off plus money off petrol. Another good loyalty card is Boots.

Maybe I should start bothering with these loyalty schemes, they didn't seem to be worth the time and effort last time I looked. 10 pence off a packet of carrots when I spend more than £3 on carrots, whose sad enough to waste time on that shyte

The Tesco petrol point system is good because depending on how much you spend on shopping, you can get up to 20p per litre off petrol. My average is about 10p. You also get points added when buying the petrol so it starts again. You can add club card points with many suppliers including Esso garages.

I was a regular until a Waitrose opened nearby. Then Sainsburys gave me a voucher for £1.50 off if I spent over £10. So I did, and I got another voucher. And another. Then they gave me a £2.25 off voucher if I spent over £15. I'm on my fifth £2.25 voucher. I wonder how long this will go on? Anyway, I'm a shopping tart, back to Waitrose as soon as the vouchers stop. :) I must admit I like Sainsburys wild sockeye salmon, much cheaper than Waitrose.
This must be a local thing because of Waitrose moving nearby. I also use a local Sainsburys but have not been given any vouchers as yet.

This must be a local thing because of Waitrose moving nearby. I also use a local Sainsburys but have not been given any vouchers as yet.

I used to do my shopping at the local Sainsburys, then pretty much stopped going there for a year or more. It's clearly a wheeze to get me back. Maybe they prefer me to shop there and make less profit, than not shop there. You might be right, they might target people when competition opens up nearby.

Maybe I should start bothering with these loyalty schemes, they didn't seem to be worth the time and effort last time I looked. 10 pence off a packet of carrots when I spend more than £3 on carrots, whose sad enough to waste time on that shyte

I used to hate carrots. Now I grow my own, and they are gorgeous. Had a nice big one in a Thai curry this evening, with homegrown spring onion and courgette, and some wild salmon. The latter was not home grown. I don't have a salmon river running through my property.

I shop at Sainsbury's, hate all of the others with a vengeance though will if I have no choice. Though Waitrose is nice, but up it's own backside and is absurdly expensive. I get about £50-60 reward over a year, which inevitably is used on the Xmas shop. Better than nothing.

Sponsored Links
Back