How to tell which type of circuit is installed

Fair point, Zen but two 2.5's does not necessarily = a ring either. It could be two radials.....

Sponsored Links
ZenStalinist said:
You probably have a ring with it being 32 amps and covering more than one room, although it may be a radial, I highly doubt it.

How to tell a radial:

1. 32 amp radials use thicker wire (4mm?)
You hope. Has it not crossed your mind that people don't always use the correct cables?

2. There will be only one wire going to the CU, whereas with a ring there will be two. Open it up and have a look.
Has it not crossed your mind that someone might have wired 2 radials into one fuse/MCB?

Yes it has, but I don't find it likely. Not that likely. Okay, there's some pretty dodgy wiring out there, but I'm assuming, like in the vast majority of cases, the house is wired correctly.

Sponsored Links
That's the first thing my boss taught me when I was an apprentice.

NEVER make any assumptions when dealing with electricity. It can kill! Check it out so that you know the facts.

It may sound melodramatic, but better safe than sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back