How to update this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sons bought an ex housing authority flat to live in. It’s within the borough of Hounslow. It was bought by the tenants 20 years ago so no council electrical checks have been done since then.
The picture shows the existing fuse /breaker arrangement and I want to get it updated to a modern type by a qualified sparks. any ideas about what will need updating bearing in mind it was ok 20 years ago
D7FCFA8B-1D42-457C-A277-61F30B886C6E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There is no need to do anything, that fuse box is ample as there is no requirement to update. But should he want to add to the system, then it will need to be upgraded to a consumer unit, consumer unit means a type tested distribution unit which is required when under the control of an ordinary person. It is required that a fault with a circuit will not produce a danger if it fails, the normal way would be having the lights and sockets on different RCD's but in this case it would mean any fault and you lose all sockets so likely the best idea is all RCBO trips which are RCD's and MCB's combined, so a faulty immersion would not stop sockets or lights from working.

Whats it set into? masonary wall? I'm guessing the wiring is all in conduit, which means its likely going to be best to leave the enclosure in the wall and mount new board over the front, is there room for that to be done? or would it cause an obstruction with where it is?

Sponsored Links
There is no need to do anything, that fuse box is ample as there is no requirement to update. But should he want to add to the system, then it will need to be upgraded to a consumer unit, consumer unit means a type tested distribution unit which is required when under the control of an ordinary person. It is required that a fault with a circuit will not produce a danger if it fails, the normal way would be having the lights and sockets on different RCD's but in this case it would mean any fault and you lose all sockets so likely the best idea is all RCBO trips which are RCD's and MCB's combined, so a faulty immersion would not stop sockets or lights from working.

Eric. Are you saying that from a safety point of view you feel it is ok to leave it as is. Are those push button breakers similar in operation to more modern devices. ( just asking out of ignorance)

For my dad I would say yes, he is unlikely to play, with young children I would say no, kids do play, I know I did, I found there are two pins you can push up in a light socket, one was OK the other bit me. Was about 7 it stopped me doing it again, but not the best way to find out. My house all RCBO's 14 of them, old house had two RCD's, mothers house two RCD's and 4 RCBO's which were fitted after she put a socket extension in a bucket of water because she thought it was on fire, actually red neon.

At 14 my son became a radio ham, so was playing with electric, so I wanted to protect him as much as possible, can still get a shock, but only for 40 mS. He's 40 odd now and he fitted my RCBO's he is looking after me now.

So yes you have MCB's which are easy to reset, and unless your going to play they are ample, but if you have very young or very old then RCD protection would be a good move.

Was there ever an Asbestos survey carried out, there could be asbestos behind that plasterboard.

Them push button ones were a bit naff, a cheap option would be changing just them and the bases to the newer style, though they would be 6A 20A and 32A rather than 5A 20A 30A that you have, is that a 45A on the end, not sure but I think thats pushing the capacity of that board.

I want to get it updated to a modern type. any ideas about what will need updating

You would need a modern metal consumer unit, perhaps one large enough to go over the recess the old one will leave behind, or failing that something you can flush into the wall.

Ideally you should have a consumer unit which will leave you with spare ways, as you don't have many circuits at the moment.

The best consumer unit arrangements is to have all RCBOs, which are circuit breakers with built in RCDs.

The bonding cables to water, gas etc, may need upgrading to 10mm2.

The existing circuits should be tested too.

a recess in plasterboard might benefit from fire-stopping.

I recall some DBs fitted very close to a ceiling, with a nice big gap out of sight above for the cables to go through. When one overheated the smoke went up into the (dusty) void and set fire to the building, and behind the plasterwork to set fire to all the rooms above. It was out of sight, and, the smoke rising into the void, you wouldn't have smelled it in the plant room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back