How to wire control to boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a property which has an Ideal HE24 boiler (yes I know they are not great) it currently has not timer control or thermostat; however the previous owners have left a timer control they never got around to having connected.

How easy it is to wire into the boiler? I presume the mains power to the boiler needs to be diverted to this? Any help would be appreciated. I am fairly handy so would rather have a go myself.

Attachments

• 0lbbWaPWQdGdk3QRRx6njA.jpg
    0lbbWaPWQdGdk3QRRx6njA.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ++7RhlePRk+Da7aNu4sZ9w.jpg
    ++7RhlePRk+Da7aNu4sZ9w.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
It’s not as that controller would just need to sit in fresh air with 4 240v wires hanging off the back of it.

Really not helpful
But completely true and trying to keep you safe.
What are you planning on mounting that timer on?
It’s an integral timer for a different boiler, that can be wired in easily to that old Isar.
But say I tell you how to do it and the timer is lying about with 4 live wires sticking out the back and you electrocuted yourself?
Do you have proper insulated spade connectors?
So I think it’s really helpful.

Sponsored Links
I had no idea it was from a different boiler - assumed as they said they hadn't had chance to have it connected it was for the Isar HE24.

I do have proper insulated connectors and wouldn't wire it without them, i was just planning to put it on the wall near the boiler which is in the under stairs cupboard. Is there a better (cheap) timer control then I could get to go with the boiler?

You could actually buy the ideal itimer for the later version but it is difficult to use/understand.
If you really want to wire that then bring a live and neutral from boiler black 5 pin plug and remove red link and bring 2 lives, one from each to the terminal common and normally open.
Hope that’s clear enough.

Ps is the boiler the combi or the system or heat only?
I’m assuming combi.

As you also don't have a roomstat I would consider a wireless programmable thermostat (as the name suggests it's a stat and programmer combined). The pros on here will advise you on either a good basic model or an all singing and dancing version if that floats your boat. They may also hazard to tell you how to install it but to be honest if you didn't realise that the thing you have needs to be incorporated into a boiler control panel then an hour of a heating engineers time may not be a bad idea - fried boiler PCBs aren't cheap.

Thanks - yes it is clear. I have had the boiler serviced since i moved in but the engineer was more interested in trying to sell me a new boiler and Hive than the timer control I had been left. Thanks for advice will have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back