How would I make this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to purchase a few wicker baskets and I want to create a surrounding for them but I'm not sure how I attached/fix the cross members to the vertical upright. What's the best way to do this? Really fancy giving it a go.

Sponsored Links
Not quite clear what exactly you require. There are several methods and these will depend on what is being stored in the baskets and their size, I have some large ones full of logs and the sort and to be honest they can be quite heavy. For this reason I would go for a mortise and tenon joint it's both strong and neat.
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and you want to attach a frame to the baskets? In which case maybe something like pyro clips would do the job or an internal and external frame and the two screwed together thus clamping the basket.

Sorry didn't make myself clear!

I am buying medium sized baskets to store veg in. I want to create a cabinet to hold 3x3 baskets. Each basket will sit on batten which will be under each edge back to front so acting like a runner. The runners for the boxes above will stop the box below toppaling over when it is pulled out. Guess my main question is what technique is used to join the frame sides to the frame vertical uprights? I would normally scree them but there must be better more common methods.

the trouble you have is wicker baskets are flexible and unlikley to be uniform

i would suggest you aim at 12mm ply sides mark them in pairs where you want the runners to be withb 2 lines
a bit off 2x1" planed [22x44mm planed] flat in between the lines you have just drawn at the front edge with 22mmx22mm runners glued and screwed behined

Sponsored Links
Made something similar for my daughter, she wanted to keep all the kids and her shoes tidy so purchased baskets first, measure and allow an extra 20mm all round, then made mdf cup'd and painted to match hall decoration.A close fit prevents the 'draws' from falling and a small block or peg fixed just under top front lip prevents the 'basket' coming all the way out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back