Humming Noise

In a quiet rural location at 0100 hrs , namely Salisbury on Harnum Hill, I had to check the ambient noise level and it was about 31-32 dBA outdoors rising to 36-42 when distant trains or lorries passed.

It was a still night and the only sound was a very feint rustling of leaves.

Of course indoors the noise level would be considerable lower, probably below the threshold sensitivity of the human ear ( 25 dBA ?? ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi - the EHO said that he could not hear it himself but he did attend during the day and it is less audible with noise from outside. Thanks for your suggestion I will contact him to see if he can refer us to anyone as it is now getting out of control. Thanks again.

Hi - the EHO said that he could not hear it himself but he did attend during the day and it is less audible with noise from outside. Thanks for your suggestion I will contact him to see if he can refer us to anyone as it is now getting out of control. Thanks again.

That implies to me that its not something that a normal person would either hear or be bothered by.

Its clear to me that you are over sensitive to something very minor and there is a medical name for that condition.

Wikepedia definition for Hypercusis:

Hyperacusis is a health condition characterized by an over-sensitivity to certain frequency ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to normal environmental sound). A person with hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, some of which may seem unpleasantly loud to that person but not to others.

http://www.docguide.com/dgc.nsf/ge/Unregistered.User.545434?OpenDocument

INTRODUCTION: In complex regional pain syndrome type 1 (CRPS-1), patients may have manifestations of central involvement, including allodynia, hyperalgesia or dystonia. We noted that more severely affected patients may experience hyperacusis, which may also reflect central involvement. The aim of this study was to evaluate the occurrence and characteristics of hyperacusis in patients with CRPS related dystonia. METHODS: The presence of hyperacusis, speech reception thresholds (SRT), pure-tone thresholds (PTT) and uncomfortable loudness (UCL) was evaluated in 40 patients with CRPS related dystonia. RESULTS: PTT and SRT were normal for all patients. 15 patients (38%) reported hyperacusis and this was associated with allodynia/hyperalgesia and with more affected extremities. UCLs of patients with hyperacusis were significantly lower than UCLs of patients without hyperacusis. CONCLUSION: Hyperacusis is common among severely affected patients with CRPS related dystonia and may indicate that the disease spreads beyond those circuits related to sensory-motor processing of extremities.

Tony

Would that affect all four of us at the same time? Any everyone who visits the house? I will take it on board along with all the other comments. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anyone except the EHO and his instrument ?

Be aware that there is some form of behaviour where people are likely to agree with a suggestion but not to make it first.

Tony

Hi - the EHO said that he could not hear it himself but he did attend during the day and it is less audible with noise from outside.
That implies to me that its not something that a normal person would either hear or be bothered by.
Why?! WHY?!

One person - ONE PERSON - didn't hear during the day, the day being a time when it's harder to hear it.

Its clear to me that you are over sensitive to something very minor and there is a medical name for that condition.

Try searching the archvies at the UK-DIY Google group. There have been several similar queries ISTR. One was identified as a leak from the a near-by water main.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/topics?lnk=gschg&hl=en

Eg, this one;

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk...l=en&lnk=gst&q=humming+noise#b4829900b7c6cd21

Turning off the water wouldn't rule out vibrations being transferred up the pipework. Have you tried putting a stick on the incoming service pipe(s) with your ear to the other end?

PS Ditto for the drainage manholes, surface and foul water.

No. He thinks it's an ear problem. I think it's a services problem. Both are possible, it could be either, it could be neither.

I dont think it is an ear problem as too many people can hear it it was suggested by the EHO that the other people were hearing it out of sympathy! Now think that is could be a water problem, waiting for plumber to attend, then if find nothing, will arrange hearing test and further visit by EHO/expert and contact utility companies. Can do no more at present.

Thank you for everyone who has made suggestions, keep them coming something may work!

Not saying in anyway that you are making it up

Just a little story of one of my customeres who got 2 years of hell from a neighbour who said they could hear something coming through the walls. They had EHO out the local council the boiler manufacturers and anyone else who would listen. But nobody heard a thing.

They would blame 2 many electric sockets on the party wall , blamed Boiler coming on 24/7 as my customer had a combi and they could not get there heads around what hot water instantly meant, blamed the fridge which was in the middle of the house.

Would bang the door and storm in at 2 in the morning, blaming and i kid you not the red standby light on the telle.

As they where not my customer and i got fed up with them and proving it was nothing to do with the boiler or the house electrics and finally had to be brutal and honest told the woman she was mental and her husband was too scared to disagree. Even her doctor suggest a hearing problem.

As i said not suggesting this is your problem just how it can affect other people which i think Agile in his usual both feet in manner was trying to get at

Just to rule out things, waiting for plumber to check boiler and now waiting for hearing test appointment and have also emailed utility companies to find out whether any work in the area. Will let you know the results. Thanks again.

water main noise tends to be louder at night when the pressure is higher

Most EHOs have recording noise level meters which they can leave at a property. Usually for noisy neighbours as they need the evidence to presecute.

However, you must understand the thoughts which an EHO would have if he was standing beside you and you said you could hear something which he could not hear himself or detect with his equipment.

Maplin sell relatively some cheap sound level meters but their minimum reading sound level is quite high compared with the professional ones. Often as high as 45 dB

Tony

Shock stunned and taken aback. First time i have seen that abusive post aimed at Agile from softas has been removed , it only took from monday good to see the mods are right on the ball :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back