Humming Noise

Sponsored Links
The EHO has asked us to check out the boiler and our hearing and then get back to him which is what we are now doing. Plumber not turned up yet though! Hearing appt awaited as is reply from water company regarding any repairs in area. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Just another suggestion. Once went to a central heating system that had had a combi conversion fitted from a bbu installation, with very very old radiators on the system.The lockshield valves were replaced with new trv,s. It was not powerflushed or cleaned through properly, and the system water was fairly dirty after commissioning. Inhibitor had been added to the system after the new combi boiler was installed and initially it was ok. But then after about 6 weeks a low droning noise could be heard throughout the house when the central heating was switched on . It got gradually louder.The dirty ch water combined with the very very old radiators, new combi and trv,s and addition of inhibitor was causing the whole ch ystem to give out this droning noise which was only rectified by changing the worst of the radiators and powerflushing the system. Your new plumber may come up with a few ideas providing he,s a good one :) Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
check if there are any torbeck valves on any of your wc,s as these are prone to this noise when they need serviceing

Thanks Andi & Plumi - still waiting for the plumber! The combi powers new rads in the extension and old ones in the older part of the house, the noise can be heard when the boiler is off, it can be heard throughout the house but is louder at night when its quiet, would it happen when the boiler is off?

Im back - the plumbers been out - its not the plumbing/boiler! On a lighter note though at least he could hear the humming. Its back to the EHO.

On a lighter note though at least he could hear the humming. Its back to the EHO.

If he could hear it then couldn't he offer any advice as to what was the cause?

What was the result of the hearing check?

Have you investigated if there are any high pressure gas or petrol distribution pipes in the neighbourhood?

Tony

The plumber recommended most things you guys have suggested checking gas, electric, water, pipes, neighbours, utility companies etc all of which we have already done but have had no success. He thought it sounded more of an electrical sound/something vibrating around the house but as we have said before this should stop when the electric has been turned off at the mains. He checked outside but could not hear the sound.

The hearing test proved that my hearing was fine.

I am unsure how to check for petrol pipes etc. Thanks for your continued help.

Thanks they were really interesting - the last one on the first site you referred to sounded just like me- maybe Im not going mad!!

It doesnt sound too promising though that there is no answer to the humming - the EHO is not too interested either at this present time. Is there anyone else we can contact?

I went and found those sites because I remembered reading somewhere recently that there's a village in the UK with exactly the same problem.

We used to live on the edge of Burnley and at night we could hear a constant low hum like an industrial noise, which came and went regularly. However when you went out and walked around the area you couldn't hear anything.

Are you familiar with the idea of interference patterns? Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference I believe the same thing happens with sound waves where they can overlap in certain areas and cancel each other out in others. If you were between two sources of low-grade hum like transformer stations this effect might be centred in your house.

Food for thought?

(By the way my surname is Reedy!)

PS: Another thought: can you check for underground workings below your house? The Coal Authority site might help, as well as the standard searches used by solicitors. I do know that the hum from the gens at Dinorwic pumped storage scheme can be heard in the bottoms of the slate quarries several hundred feet above the generator hall.

Thanks will have a look at that when I get home - our surname is Reid but Reidy sort of stuck.

Thanks again for your input its another avenue to go down.

Its just a very long shot but last night I had a boiler gas supply which was rapidly fluctuating.

It was also fluctuating with no load!

The regulator on the meter was making a kind of chattering noise and only stopped when the emergency control valve turned off.

Its very unusual but might be a long shot if you have not tried it before.

Did they test the high frequency response of your ears? What was it?

Tony

They just said that my hearing was fine and normal never said what the frequency range was.

Just spoken to EHO they say that they can do no more as this is not a nuisance matter - any suggestions of anyone who may be able to deal with this for us?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back