HVLP Spraying metalwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to the world of paint spraying but have a motorbike frame/mudguards/fuel tank (external) that I need to spray black as part of a restoration. I've been give a decent HVLP setup to use, but now I need to get to the details of what paint system to use. I've done plenty of rattle can spraying on car panels (base + clear) but nothing with an HVLP setup before.

I want a black gloss finish. I won't be going anywhere near 2K paint. I have suitable non-air fed respirators for spraying, and somewhere clean to spray.

Assuming all the metal is roughed to around 600 grit, clean and dry, where do I start?

Do I need a normal metal primer? An etch primer first? Can I spray these with HVLP?

I want to spray black gloss. Will I need black paint and then a lacquer, or are gloss paints glossy without a lacquer? Does the lacquer protect the paint from oil/fuel?

I'm totally confused by the paint types, and what will be suitable for use on an oily motorbike. Should I be looking at acrylic, latex, waterbased, solvent based, something else?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Once I get a rough outline I can do the research and will be fine, but just need some pointers to get going in the right direction. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I guess 1k paints would be cellulose

Like these:

http://www.carpaint.co.uk/4-cellulose

It says they do motorbike paint I dont know if theres a difference.

I would suggest getting some smooth board or card to do practice spray out on first.

Get some decent quality thinners, paints almost always want thinning.

You need a suitable spray tip size, Im not sure for car paints probably 1.4

Just chiming in as I am interested as well.
Out of interest, what bike?
I would be tempted to either use coach paint or powdercoat on the frame

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Just chiming in as I am interested as well.
Out of interest, what bike?
I would be tempted to either use coach paint or powdercoat on the frame

Same as you, a Cub. Have you sprayed yours?

What is coach paint, a type of cellulose paint? I'm not too keen on powder coating though because I want to keep the bike as close to original as possible, and because I can't do it myself!

Couple of Cubs, a t140 , and a 3ta that might end up as a 500 bobber thing.
http://www.cwylde.co.uk/page.php?xPage=flowliner-paint.html

I have painted a couple of frames with flowliner and it brushes on, taking time to cure, and brush marks fade away. The advantage is that any frame chips can be patched up compared to powder coat
I have a 56 plunger that I totally repainted donkey's years ago by hand and it looked good for a long time although I would spray (get done professionally ) tinware now
I also have a 60 that is becoming a sports/mountain/ trail type someday

This paint is excellent, very good coverage and finish. Not HVLP compatible though..
116995.jpg

Why not phone Morelli and ask to speak to their tech support? The few body shops that have employees that I know seem to use Morelli as their paint supplier.

https://morelli.co.uk/

I have only used 2K with my HVLP but even if you went down that path you would need one with UV inhibitors.

Waterbased? AFAIK you would need to apply a solvent based lacquer over the top.

As others have suggested, I suspect that cellulose would be your best bet.

Spoke to a paint supplier and they first suggested using 2k, and that spraying it as a one off in a ventilated garage with a decent (non-air fed) mask would be ok. They suggested 2k because of it's good resistance to petrol etc. Wasn't too happy with that, so asked for alternatives. They then suggested a basecoat paint followed by 1k acrylic lacquer, which should be resistent to petrol etc once it's fully cured (i.e. don't fill with petrol the same day as spraying). I asked about cellulose paints and they said no, because of it's relative lack of resistance to petrol.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I have a way ahead now.

"Spoke to a paint supplier and they first suggested using 2k, and that spraying it as a one off in a ventilated garage with a decent (non-air fed) mask would be ok."

I spent many years smoking, smoking whilst using oil based paints, smoking whilst using 2K, smoking whilst sanding fillers (and so on).

My lungs are a mess. Mea culpa.

The HSE claim to have evidence of 2k (isocyanate) paints triggering asthma in users that had never previously shown signs of being asthmatic.

I honestly do not know if an AEBK (charcoal) mask provides sufficient protection. When using one I cannot smell the paint but (AFAIK) isocyanates are odourless. Nevertheless, I am concerned that the firm that you spoke to adopted such a cavalier attitude (unless you were reading between the lines).

That said, I don't honestly know if 1K paints are that much better for your lungs- you only have two though.

2k sets in your lungs afaik?
It is supposed to be similar in effect to asbestos
That's why you are supposed to wear positive pressure masks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back