Spraying railings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to repaint some railings and I'm planning to spray them. The railings are Galv. steel and have been stripped bare.

I don't want to use my HVLP gun for various reasons and I'm considering spray cans.

As it see it, there are 2 options:

1. Hammerite spray cans (NOT that useless metalmaster piece of carp)
2. Cellulose car paints + clear coat

I've never been very keen on Hammerite products. They're overpriced, need special cleaners and the stuff in the tins is like painting with treacle.

Has anyone here used the SMOOTH Hammerite spray cans and what were the results like? The cans aren't cheap and I'm suspicious that they may be prone to clogging resulting in lots of expensive waste.

Or, has anyone ever painted railings or other galv. metalwork with car paints (I presume an etch-primer is needed?) and what were the results like in terms of finish, durability and life?

Your thoughts on this or other suitable products appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends how many railings you want to do. Any new galavanising will need either a "T" wash, Calcium plumbate primer or a Mordant mixture to etch the railings prior to painting. If its old galvanising then you can always undercoat and gloss.

4.5m length of 1.2m high square bar non-ornate railings. They're about 15 years old and some of the galv coating may have worn off while stripping. There's no surface rust though and they've been in the rain numerous times since I stripped them.

You make no reference to either of the products I enquired about. Why would the number of railings make a difference to the method? I want to spray them so why suggest undercoat and gloss?

If there was a lot of railings then spray cans would be very expensive. They dont put a very thick coat on really.
Hammerite smooth is a very good product but not cheap.
A good quality undercoat and gloss can last just as well if done properly.

Sponsored Links
Hammerite,
Great product when it came out but things have changed since then, Dulux, Johnstones, Crown all do metal coatings for anti rust and external use at a much better price and great coverage.

ALL external metal coatings totaly rely on you getting a perfect, NON pinholed coverage. The Hammerite smooth in spray cans is the same as the tins but much much thinner and highly solvented to get it to spray. The overspray you will get from an aerosol will be considerably high and is going to be very wastfull.

If you want to use aerosol then go to your local motor factors paint supplies, have them mix you some 2K to the colour you want and in aerosol, coverage is better, dries good and is durable (just see your car for an example)
Alternatively, buy a 250ml 2k paint, same in thinners and a 2k lacqure and use a hvlp.

use a small roller for fast even coverage

brush the joints first

railings are mostly made of air, so where will most of your spray go?

no need to use a car or hammerite paint - a metal preservative primer for galvanised surfaces, plus normal spirit based paint system, will go on easily, give good protection, and be easy to maintain and repaint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back