hydrolic tappets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
ive taken the head of my meriva to be skimmed, the engineers said I will have to prime the tappets on reinstallation.
what is I need to do and how do I go about doing it
thanks
terry

Sponsored Links
The usual method is to immerse each tappet in a jar of thin oil, turning the things over so they fill up themselves......works to some degree!
John :)

what grade of oil do you recon would be thin enough, the oil I have is 5/30 I think. can you explain more to me in depth is old oil thin enough or do I have to go thinner to duck types of oil

thanks

You'll be fine with your 5/30.....if you want to make it a bit thinner, then just warm it up a bit.
The chances are, your lifters will still have oil in them anyway and that will replenish when the engine is started up.
All you want to do, is to allow the internal reservoirs in the lifter to fill as much as possible....look for air bubbles but seriously, don't worry too much about it.
I've never had a lifter apart but symptoms I've found with my limited experience is that the engine takes a bit of cranking to start up, due to the valves not opening fully at first ( petrol engine).
When you bolt the cams down, flood the cam lobes with oil before you start up.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you over-prime Hydraulic tappets, that means the gap they are suppose to maintain when the valves are fully closed will not be there, so you may lose compression through valves not closing fully. I found that as long as they are clean and not too dirty and adequately lubricated when assembled after taking them apart, I dropped a little oil in each enough so that they would compress a little, but if they don't compress any amount then you have over-primed, they will self fill or prime within about 15mins to half an hour on idling, to correct level, you tube has some excellent videos on how to take them apart, but you only need to do this if your engine was exceptionally dirty and carbon deposits and other debris everywhere.

I rebuild a head on my X20XEV after a head skim, and had all tappets taken apart, I taped each tappet to a foot long piece of wood and thumped it on to a another piece of wood to take them apart, and the tape stops tappets flying off, carefully i cleaned all internal parts, a small tiny spring, a small ball that acts as a valve, and a larger spring and the piston. I used carb cleaner and then reassembled with new clean engine oil, poured a few drops in each resorvoir, after the car started, it took 15 minutes at idling before all tappets got primed and engine became very quiet.

Back