I did something dumb - what will the outcome be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

RTFM would be the appropriate response if I hadn't already done this...

So, in a fit of enthusiasm I plumbed the whole of my new extension last weekend. It's a single room with 2 radiators, one at each end. These are plumbed with 15mm copper pipe, and I also laid an extra 2 pipes from the kitchen through to the far wall in case we ever want a basin, washing machine etc.

Was very pleased with the result until I actually read a proper plumbing guide rather than the rudimentary instructions I worked from.

I used solder ring connectors, and no flux at all throughout.

My instructions stated that the joint was complete when the solder boiled and started to appear. So I basically blowtorched each joint for ages (15mins!) until a bit of solder came out. On a couple of joints, at the solder ring a weak point developed and solder burned through the copper! I made sure any hole was patched with solder. All joints feel secure.

I did 25 separate connectors, all very consistently as above so I figure the behaviour will likely be the same throughout.

So the question I have is, what do the experienced plumbers on here think will happen if I pressurise the system?

This weekend I'm working on it again, and am wondering whether my time is best spent making a temporary test connection to the mains cold water to test pressure, or just going around every connection with some fulx and run solder around each connection as if it were a plain copper connector.

Anyone got any experience to bring to my self-induced uncertainty?

Cheers,
Alex

Mod 3: your other post is here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1216163#1216163

Sponsored Links
I reckon every joint will leak as the flux cleans both pipe and fitting and allows solder to bond to both. Soldering a fitiing takes about 10-15 seconds heat per fitting not 15 mins. You will have melted solder right out of fittings. I would recommend starting again.

:!:

This is a duplicate thread - may I suggest that further replies go on the other one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back