I only have 1 ring main...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to add a double socket spur into my upstairs ring main earlier and have just discovered I have 1 switch in the cu for 1 double socket downstairs (no idea why), and then the hob/cooker is on another. But everything else is on the 1 32A 2.5mm ring main! Thats 12 single sockets and 8 doubles, is this ok? It hasn't tripped once in 2.5 years of heavy use at certain times!

Sponsored Links
Its not unusual for older houses to only have one ring final. It is not ideal for today's loads.

You should consider getting a new ring for kitchen/utlity next time its being refurbed but you're probably OK if you haven't had any trips and are not planning to add any significant extra loads.

were having a semi refurb now lol, just not touching the kitchen its the only part thats new! typical i guess! oh and i suppose sockets clipped to the wall 1 cm off the floor isn't a very good idea just found 2 of them?! I'd love to know who did the wiring on my house!

ill just take the old, if it aint broke don't fix route for now as you say!

i suppose sockets clipped to the wall 1 cm off the floor isn't a very good idea just found 2 of them?!
That sounds like my grans house. Cheap re-wire in the 1970's replaced the cables with PVC and all the BS 546 sockets with BS 1361s. Would have been fine with straight outlets but of course modern sockets are different and they reused the old backboxes.

Sponsored Links
I remember one of my sets of grandparents got around the problem of cable entry to plugs very cloe to the floor by mounting the sockets upside-down.

Anyway if you are refurbing most of the house it should be possible to split the rings without interfering with the wiring in the kitchen itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back