I,ve had to walk off a job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am a young builder new to the game. My first solo job was to build a mammoth extension encorporating steel beams, an 18m steel ridge and some fancy roofing. My customer wished to pay me day rate, to which i cherged £120 per day. The building went up sweet as a nut (trust me its almost the size of her house) in 7 months with just me and my brother labouring.

I was happy and she was happy.
BUT THEN... It was time to do the inside, now bear in mind my price never changed. I fitted her CH system, arranged for a plasterer (for which she would negotiate and pay so that i had nothing to do with it). Fitted the garage door to which i explained i didnt want to. She also talked me into fitting her kitchen which half way through i have had to tell her to stick it.

Whats happened is her and her dads mood has turned very sour and uncomfortable, i was getting blamed for things that had nothing to do with me, i.e plasterer and electrics. Eventually enough disrespect was enough and i left. I rang her a few days later to explain and she was having none of it and said that this will reflect on my reputation (i.e her freinds won't want me). She wouldn't accept that i was being treated badly and that was that. Since then i went back to move her garage door as she wanted it lowing (feeling very uncomfortable) and i didnt charge her for this.

What worrys me is the CH isnt completed, a soak away still needs hard core on top, little snaggs like that. Am i liable for them, or does the fact that there was no contract spare me.
Since then i have told her neirboure (freinds of hers) what i done and they still want me to do there extension but this time i've learned my lesson and we are going to draw up a clear contract to keep all parties happy.
Do i have any responsibilities or anything to worry about from the job i walked off of.

Sponsored Links
a verbal agreement, although more difficult to prove, has a legal standing just as significant as a written one.

it will depend on what you promised to do.

these verbal promises will be considered your "contract".

it is considered a "crime" for any builder to leave his contracted work half finished, unless of course the money runs dry!

my sympathies are with you but maybe you have bitten off more than you can chew?

dont worry about it you were on day rate, she was lucky, maybe you escaped at the right time ;)

knowing how to do the job is one thing, knowing how to read and deal with customers is another! Whatever you do, big or small, friend or starnger, put it all down in writing and get them to sign it, before you do anything. I always tell people its for mutual protection and it shows professionalism. The main thing is it protects you! peope change their mind, get fed up, fall out, etc etc, just make sure your protected

Sponsored Links
I always fancied doing builds from start to very finish, but i think people get sick of the same face asking fo a cheque and what not. Maybe i will consider just getting builds to 1st fix, and then getting a fresh contract for the big finish. But contracts are definatly the way forward. the public are incredible people

as Thermo has said, it's probably your people skills that are lacking.

you always need to be thinking a minimum of two-three weeks ahead on a decent size project.

dean1979

Im moz ...1966

YOU DIDNT OWE THEM FGCK ALL...my respect as your a good lad ...:)

you need to get hard ,

I get with ...""""""""

Moz said:
YOU DIDNT OWE THEM FGCK ALL...my respect as your a good lad ...:)

you need to get hard ,

I get with ...""""""""

ever the poet Moz.............................................RESPECT. ;)

"You need to get hard" :eek: ........so do I, Moz, so do I :cry: :cry: :cry:

:eek: never get too friendly with a customer because they then take liberties ;) ;)

good luck m8y, i've been in that position many times, its awkward but makes you more determined :LOL:

Hash=RS=
Well said , as said ..Always be Professional ,an never get chummy , they are but a blink of your working life , do the job an always refer to them as MR an Mrs whatever ,Never 1st names ,of course they can you ,but not you them ....
Im sure blokes here will tell you the same about keeping your distance with clients /customers ..?

btw
I suppose these "T*sspot Media students "

who do these cowboy from hell shows ,
know they will not get the audiences if it was *CUSTOMER* FROM HELL SHOWS ,BAH ..HMMm :( :(
Damn them to Hell ..lol ;)

Moz said:
Never 1st names ,of course they can you ,but not you them ....
Im sure blokes here will tell you the same about keeping your distance with clients /customers ..?

And never let them kiss you on the mouth, eh Moz?

JohnD
the myth of the bored housewife is ok ,

but as being a Top Class Sha***r, I want paying an not there servicing an old boiler ..lol

Speaking as a homeowner, we prefer to do business with firms like this very reliable family-owned plumbing company from Burnley:

They come to estimate when agreed. They give a written estimate. We agree payment terms. Their blokes turn up dead sharp 08:00 on the appointed day. They get on with the job without yakking, playing a radio, begging cups of tea or bunking off to do other jobs. They don't smell and they keep their trousers pulled up over their bums. At the end they clean up, check we're happy and naff off. We receive the bill a few days later, we pay promptly, they may not be the cheapest but next time we ask them to come, they're happy to come.

That's speaking as a home owner.

RigidRaid
an you dont think when your not there they arent reading your stash of mucky mags behind your bed side table , an wearing your wifes pants ......lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back