Ideal classic ff380 - cycling

With a larger house and presumed larger bill, you really should be looking at replacing your boiler sometime.

A modern condensing boiler could save about 20% or more on the gas bill !

That can give a good return on the capital cost of a new boiler.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I have to disagree with agile, get a new pump installed and you will probably get another 5 years out of your old boiler, wait till it is beyond economic repair before thinking of changing it.

I don't disagree that the boiler will run for perhaps up to another 10 years, maybe needing a new fan or PCB on the way.

But the economics:-

An average three bed semi has about 7-10 rads and a gas bill of about £1200pa.

If we suppose that 21 rads would use about twice the gas of a semi then that's £2400 pa.

Suppose we save just 20% of the gas ( and it would usually be more like 25% ) then the saving is £480 pa.

Now I would replace most of that type of boiler for about £1600 using a reasonable but not budget boiler.

So the return on the capital expenditure is about 30% pa and increasing each year as fuel costs rise !

Rather better than a bank account.

Of course to keep the warrantee going an annual service is required at about £55. That reduces the return to 26% but of course even the old boiler should have been serviced annually!

Tony

Thanks guys

I had an engineer come in and quote 2.5k for a boiler swap power flush etc. WB 30 or something like that. I was hoping to keep this one going as apparently it's much less complex but as you say will need pcb fan and eventually gas valve changing periodically.

It's not kettling now even after 12 years so I may think about switching out the pump to keep it running nice

I will hopefully try to keep this going healthy until it's no longer repairable.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is 24 kW so why did he want to quote for a larger power boiler?

Did he, or have you, done a whole house heat loss calculation to seen the power required?

I am sure that I could even fit one of those for £1999 even though you are in Brum.

But I am sure that local installers would do it for far less.

Even Iron Naz could come in from Cov on the A45 !

For interest what area or postcode are you in ?

Tony

Thanks Tony

He said it needs oversizing I honestly didn't understand where he was coming from. I assume he needed to hit his WB monthly install bonus quota. I don't want to increase my gas consumption i want to decrease it and ensure its "just" the right size to do minus degree ambient heating and still condense in the warmer months

Oversizing wastes fuel as well as costing slightly more to buy.

But the biggest problem is short cycling!

You can read about it on many of the threads here.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back