ideal isar 24he problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

i was working on an ideal isar 24he this week... basically the original problem was that when there is a call for hot water the heating would come on also... so an engineer from my firm booked up a diverter valve... to my knowledge the front cartiridge of the diverter valve and the honeywell head were changed... but the problem was still persiting... so another engineer investigated the problem and booked up for the complete diverter valve to be removed and manualy flushed/cleaned... this is were i come in... i removed the diverter valve completely, incl the hw heat exchanger... took it apart and gave it a good cleaning... there was some dirt but not much to make it let by... put it all back together and left it working ok... the tenent then called my the office to say that the problem was persisting... so i called ideal technical who insisted that there must still be some dirt in the dirverter valve causing it to let by... so the next day i powerflushed the system... which was actually very clean... and removed the diverter valve and cleaned it manually again... complete waste of time... but anyway the problem still persist... so i inverstigated further and found that whenever the hotwater tap is opened the diverter valve moves into the heating postion allowing water to release in to the heating flow and then immediately reset back to the hotwater postion... and this happeneds everytime there is a demand for hot water.... this problem has actually got worse because it wasnt happenening all the time but now it is... again i spoke to ideal technical in regards to this and they rekon its normal... they must have it wrong or didnt understand when i was explaing the problem cos this can not be correct...

can anyone shed some light on this??... is it a pcb fault....

oh i should add that i removed and cleaned the complete diverter valve including the back section connected to the heating flow and hotwater pipes...

Sponsored Links
You dont say who you work for.

However, the inability to diagnose relatively simple boiler faults means that the cost of all these visits and parts and chemicals must be about £500 by now.

We would only charge £84 to diagnose the fault and we would not charge for parts not needed.

So I would have to identify the fault in about an hour!

Tony

I've had the exact same problem before and change the cartridge, and in the end the whole unit.

What it was in the end was the red and black actuator head.

At rest the diverter valve will do heating. However for water it needs to push the cartridge pin in. Have you tried doing this manually? Its painful very very stiff! Well as a consequence the actuator head becomes worn and can't push the pin home fully.

Change the motor and it will be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back