Ideal no. of electrical sockets in a room

Yea you want solid (Stranded is for patch leads) and it's solid copper cores, which is what you want. You can go for shielded if you really want to, I haven't got it in my house and one of the cat5e drops is as close to 230v as is allowed, and I don't have any complaints.

Sponsored Links
Shielded is almost certainly unnecessary in a house. If you do use it you then have to mess about connecting the shield or there was no point.

ey - whatever else you do, invest in a proper punch-down tool, and enough extra bits to allow you some practising.

ey - whatever else you do, invest in a proper punch-down tool, and enough extra bits to allow you some practising.

Could you please suggest a good one from Amazon?

Regarding STP or UTP cable, all of my connections for everything in the house (alarm panel, TV Ariel distribution , sat cable, phone, CCTV rack, wireless router, and z-wave router and possibly the main house fuse board) will come to a central cupboard in the house. Do you still think it is not necessary to opt for the shielded type? Where else is STP used otherwise?

Thx.

Sponsored Links

Regarding STP or UTP cable, all of my connections for everything in the house (alarm panel, TV Ariel distribution

Ariel is washing powder and nothing to do with TVs. ( hint, the uppercase A gives it away).

The correct word is aerial.

CAT 6 cable is twisted balanced pair and shielding should not be necessary. As well as possible ingress we should consider egress which also should be minimal and should not affect a well screened coax aerial distribution.

Regarding STP or UTP cable, all of my connections for everything in the house (alarm panel, TV Ariel distribution

Ariel is washing powder and nothing to do with TVs. ( hint, the uppercase A gives it away).

The correct word is aerial.

CAT 6 cable is twisted balanced pair and shielding should not be necessary. As well as possible ingress we should consider egress which also should be minimal and should not affect a well screened coax aerial distribution.

Yes, tell that to Siri when I dictate it to her (hence capital A). I apologise profusely for not picking up on this error. I shall now sit in the corner being the naughty boy that I am for not checking my spelingz. :D

Winston is always sure to get terms correct and he is ALWAYS right about EVERYTHING

?

Bald_Eagle_-_Palm_Beach_Zoo_-_Sadu_Frehm.JPG

Yes, tell that to Siri when I dictate it to her (hence capital A). I apologise profusely for not picking up on this error. I shall now sit in the corner being the naughty boy that I am for not checking my spelingz. :D
You may (I know not) use technology like that because you have difficulties using a keyboard. But the error is no laughing matter - that sort of attitude is the same one that causes lorry drivers to hit low bridges, or people to drive into fields, ignoring all the road signs because their satnav tells them to go that way.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/egress

Are you getting confused with the egret? It looks nothing like an eagle though, more like a heron.

Anyway......

Shielding is not widely used in twisted-pair Ethernet wiring in the home, nor in most commercial locations for that matter. It tends to be employed mostly in situations in which interference from other equipment could affect network operation due to ingress, or where egress of signals from the network could have a detrimental effect on sensitive equipment also in use.

I have a reel of shielded Cat 5e (Belden 1533P to be precise) which I'll be running all around the house soon, mainly because with using a lot of radio equipment my concern is to reduce RFI from the network to an absolute minimum. But then I'm probably not the typical home user!

No one is right all the time but egress was the right word.

Ingress and egress are very common terms in the cable TV industry.[/QUOTE]Oh, sorry. They're not used in the EMC testing industry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back